Old 01-27-2015   #11
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Riverboatworks is fabricating two and three rod holders. They are off to the side out of harms way and don't interfere with gear. I know first hand the jig they use and cutting that conduit cleanly isn't as easy as one may think.

DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #12
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm not a huge fan of the rod tubes that sit up ontop of the frame, I think they make it difficult to exit one side of the boat and just basically get in the way. I've always done something like Kengore suggested except I only cut my slot to where the first strap hits. I forgot to take a pic of my set up this morning but it sits between my spare oar and the frame...Also don't over look folding your rods in half and putting them in normal reel-on type rod holders, it takes just a second and saves a lot of clutter around the boat. When I'm fishing I usually have a nymph rig and either a streamer or dryfly rig set up (depending on what's happening). I'll have another spare or two broken down. So having storage for one full rod/fishermen is plenty... break the rest down, especially dry/streamer rods they're really easy to fold.

This is what I'd look into on your rig....

Attachment 9267

The red line would be my first choice on your boat as it appears that there is a gap between your rear frame (and casting braces) and your side rails....i.e. slide a tube into that gap from front to back. The little black lines indicate areas I would think about cutting slots in. to aid in stowing rods. I would think one on each side, one set up for use from the front and one from the back. Putting two rods in one tube (from opposite ends) is at best a tangle waiting to happen and at worst a broken tip). You could bend the far ends (opposite the user) to follow you frame if necessary.

The orange line is what kengore is talking about and what I use. The issue you'll have is length. It appears your frame is around 7' (assuming 8.5 or 9' oars). Your rod tubes will run about as long as your oars if not a little longer, so there will be some sticking out past the bends of your tubes.

stripping baskets in my opinion are a complete waste of money and space. Do you stand, facing and fishing in one direction all day? Or do you turn and fish river left, river right, back and forth moving as the rower puts you on water or the river changes? If you're right handed and fishing river left you will be missing your basket by 180 degrees... if your facing forward you'll either have to hold your whole rod and arm in front of you or strip forwards to get your shit in the basket... if your casting river right you may get proper use from your basket. Keep trying without baskets for a while, you'll learn (and teach your clients/buddies) proper line management. It's a good habit anyways.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #13
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Here is a pic from another thread showing, part of my rod holder set up, if that helps at all. My spare oars are not on in this pic, but essentially the handle lies even with the real and hangs below the rod tube.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I never take a sand stake (fish do not like vibration from hammering it in the ground), bow rope or Z drag kit unless on a white water river where need to self rescue is a possibility. Any rope is a fish hook magnet, avoid as much as possible and the same goes for mesh netting of any kind.
I always carry a anchor for stopping to fish from boat and to keep the boat beached while wade fishing. Two small dry boxes to hold rain gear for everyone, one dry change of clothing for the occasional swimmer and extra warm gear if there is a risk of the weather turning bad on you is a great idea. I use Vittles vaults. They are cheap and there is nothing to snag your line on. A well stocked cooler and first aid kit. Long handle landing net ( rubber). Water, water and more water for drinking.TP can be very useful. Spare rod and reel in a rod case (just in case). life jackets for all. Hats, sunscreen, bug spray and etc. Home made rod holders and spare oar.
Unless doing an overnight that is my entire list of what's in my boat when on a day fishing trip.
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #15
south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
I have 2 rod racks side to side on my raft. Usually have a spey rod in one, then two 9' or 9'6" rods in the other. Input em back to back, haven't had issues with tangling but I take my time putting them in so they're not just throw in. I've added an elbow and extension so no rod tips are exposed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app
chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
I really do like the rod holders from Riverboatworks in Salida....the tubes themselves are no big deal, but they make their own hardware to attach the tubes to your frame....11/4 or 11/2 raft stays up in the mountains at my inlaws on the trailer for the summer, though covered by a cheap auto cover.....I found it still gets really HOT under the cover and that with the rod tubes on the boat under the cover the tubes actually warp/melt almost and get distorted enough to be I have to take the tubes off and put under the trailer when stored so they dont "distort"...I have re made rod tubes....I find they are easy to cut with a hand held jigsaw and a little sandpaper to smooth the Riverboat works ones I like a long groove for easy rod entrance into the tube and a velcro strap in front of the reel to hold it in place....the back end is not cut out so the the butt end of the rod can fit under it and be velcroed in I end up having a long groove in the tube, not just a little slot in the end...for easy access.......Riverboatworks also has short/butt end rod holders that swivel to hold a rod more upright .....check out their website......I have an NRS 11/4 frame and they make stuff for 11/2 frames like DRE and their own stuff also......again, I highly recommend their rod holders.....CTR
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #17
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Ditto on long handle rubber net.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #18
If that is your idea of a Bare Bones fishing raft, I'd hate to ever row your "Full On" rig while you fish. Just for reference, with that much crap on your raft you are solidly missing out on some of the best sections at the best flows. Don't buy into what all the guides over at Minturn anglers have on their boats, they need to have all the goodies to look good in front of their clients.

As for the rod tubes, I rig mine like a spare oar, outside the oar tower, hanging down from the frame, that way I get full access to compartments, ability to jump around on tubes if need be to land fish etc. Oh yeah, for a fishing rig, a soft day cooler is way more useful than slamming whatever the biggest yeti you can fit is. Think about how annoying it is to get up from your rowing seat every 10 minutes to pass out beers.

If you are a guide at Minturn, I take everything back, put all the heavy bling you can on there for tips sake(never want a client to think its the boats fault he isn't setting the hook)
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #19
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
NRS sells a cheap, workable stripping basket. I have made several of my own using a plastic dishpan with slots in it for a cam strap. If you put a dozen or so plastic "fingers" in the bottom, it works a lot better at keeping your line tangle free. I use weed whacker cord about 2-3" long. Melt the end and push em up thru the bottom with a dab of shoe goo.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #20
Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Here are 2 web pages that might give you DYI ideas.

Rafts and rod tubes |

This had some good pics. I remember another website, Fly Fishing | Westfly. but did not find the pics, forum that I looked a a few months back.

fourtyfloater is offline   Reply With Quote