Old 06-25-2015   #1
cedar city, Utah
Ark Updates

Hey Folks,

Our tentative plan is start boating the Ark on Sunday and we are curious for any local updates. I have been watching the gauges and the CPW site but not a lot of info for the post-peak levels we are now seeing. Thoughts on:

1) Silver Bullet boat passage? Looks like some of the trails and features were taking a beating from the high water. Any updates since the 6/19 peak around 4900 cfs? How is the passage itself?
I remember this stretch being fast and pushy the last time I was there in 2008. Not many huge rapids but definitely not much opportunity for recovery. Sound about right?
2) Lake Fork stretch above Granite?
I am assuming water isn't much of an issue for the next week or so, correct? Obviously not a classic whitewater run but might be viable for just getting our feet wet and seeing how our crew behaves together. Complete waste of time ?
3) Best warm up whitewater stretches?
Looking into BV town run (silver bullet of concern, as noted above), Big Bend to Rincon, Rincon to Pinnacle, and/or Pinnacle to Parkdale. The lower stretch from Centinnial to Pueblo SWA might be an option but not excited about length of drive considering we are already driving 9 hours from Utah.
4) Frog Rock/Fractions at these levels?
I remember it being a great run years ago. My vague memory is busier than Browns but not as many big hits. About right? From what I understand the sieve becomes a bigger issue at lower water when the left run is less viable, correct?
5) Gorge and Numbers
Seems like those will be solid, respectable Class IV+ at these levels, correct? I have never rowed either of those stretches so I am hesitant to do so at this time. Thoughts? I have such experience but not running blind and with a new crew.
6) Browns
I remember Browns being super fast, big and with extremely fun waves at around 3k. I also remember thinking how unpleasant a swim or a flipped rig would be with the pushiness at those levels. Fair assessment? I would love to get in there again but need to see how my buddies will be doing in their IKs before I take that on for certain. Likely but not certain.
Any up to date info would be great. I have spent about 10 days running stretches out there but the most recent time was 7 years ago and the oldest was 11 years ago. We will be around for 7 days.

Thanks in advance.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote