Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 01-23-2015   #1
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Ark river commercial guide school for non guide.

Do any of the commercial companies on the Ark allow rec boaters to take their guide school with no intent of guiding. I was talking with a guide from Buena vista and he said most companies will take in way more students than needed to off set the cost and have a pool to pick from. I just want to take the school for my personal use as I was told it's about $350 per participant.

skico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015   #2
C. Springs, Colorado
Check out Buffalo Joe's. I sent my son to their guide school about 10 years ago and we were both pleased with how much he learned from it. They knew up front that he wasn't going to be a commercial guide and just wanted the experience. They were one of the few we checked with that didn't have a problem with him just going through their school for the fun of it. ( and so he could borrow my boats and take his friends without killing one of them.)

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Why go all the way to the ark for the school when you live i front range.

Why not do guide school on clear creek ?
shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #4
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Pretty sure Dvorak rafting does as well, they also do it outside of guide school but looks to be more expensive.

Instructional Seminars | Dvorak Expeditions| Colorado's Best Rafting & Fly Fishing Trips
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #5
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I believe most companies on the Ark will allow you to go through guide school with zero interest in working for them afterwards,
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Liquid Descent on Clear Creek will let you go through guide school with no intention of becoming a guide. Definitely dont need to go all the way to the Ark when you can take the course much closer to home on Clear Creek. More continuous = better guides and also = more fun.
riotstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #7
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
If you got the money honey, they'll have the time.

Woke up this morning at 10:13.
A hole so big, it sucked the leaves off the tree.
DesertRatonIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #8
Denver, Colorado
What about a company that operates on both cc & ark.....then it may be possible to train on different rivers.

shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015   #9
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'll second Dvoraks. I was very pleased as a private boater. It cost about $1k ($300 for the guide trainees) but that was for nearly three weeks of training, transportation all over, and food. We did 5 days on DesoGrey, every Ark section, overnights on the Ark, and a SWR class that blew away my previous SWR I took as a kayaker. They follow the water. Other classes have done different rivers.

I liked the concentration on mulitday skills and I got about 80/20% oars/paddle because I wanted it that way. Lots of other companies I looked into concentrate on paddle boats on Browns because that's what their guides run. It was fun learning how to get a heavy 16ft gear boat down Siedels the first time or stern mount rig down The Numbers. For variety and quality it was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
MrScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015   #10
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Clear Creek is pretty lame. Find a guide school that teaches rowing and paddling and isn't just for commercial paddle guides. Feel free to PM me for specific recommendations.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote