Anyone have photos of HDPE or POLYMAX rigging of floors? - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 08-24-2016   #31

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Finished the floors for the Hyside Minimax.
3/4 MDO
6 coats of urethane on bottom and 7 coats on top with last two coats mixed with Rust-Oleum EPOX Shield Anti-Skid Additive (very fine and uniform from Ace hardware) top is like sandpaper, except the edges.
Added recycled rubber mat for I wear studs on my wading boots.
Thanks Elkhunt for your generous counsel.
[IMG][/IMG]

Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2016   #32

Jackson County, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1979
I realize this is a little late, but here's some pics of my HDPE floor. Been in there for 3 or 4 years with no issues. 1/2" thickness, about 24"x40", roughed with sand paper and drilled for drainage. Held in with 1" straps. Cooler and dry box keeps it from sliding around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender[1].jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	12253   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	12254  

VandyIn541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #33

Westminster, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyIn541 View Post
I realize this is a little late, but here's some pics of my HDPE floor. Been in there for 3 or 4 years with no issues. 1/2" thickness, about 24"x40", roughed with sand paper and drilled for drainage. Held in with 1" straps. Cooler and dry box keeps it from sliding around.
I guessing it is not suspended. Any issues with abrasion?
Old 08-25-2016   #34

Jackson County, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1979
It's not suspended and I haven't noticed any abrasion along the edges or underneath. All edges were rounded and smoothed with sandpaper. So far so good.
VandyIn541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #35

Westminster, Colorado
I had read one needs to suspend the floor off the bottom. But maybe it's not needed. That would be nice and make things easier to rig.
Old 08-26-2016   #36

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
Suspension is great for a couple of reasons.

First the abrasion isn't necessarily from having sharp edges or corners, it's from the sand, gravel, silt, etc. that gets trapped between the floor of the boat and the hard floor. The rocking of the boat then rubs this back and forth eventually wearing a hole. This really depends on where you tend to boat the most and the conditions you face. Deserts and sand would obviously accentuate this problem. Not a matter of if it's wearing through, but when.

Second, on low water runs where floor pins are likely to happen, anything hard and sharp strapped down to the inflatable floor runs the very real potential of leading to a pinch flat. Again, this depends on where you're boating. If you're only paddling large volume wide/deep rivers then it may not become a problem, just be weary when you pull that late September Middle Fork permit.
DriftaBit is offline   Reply With Quote