Anyone have photos of HDPE or POLYMAX rigging of floors? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 08-16-2016   #21

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Stewart of Montana Boat has built over 100 drift boats out of MDO. He helped me decide to use it on my project.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016   #22

Westminster, Colorado
I'll be picking up a sheet of 3/4 MDO tomorrow. Spar for the underside, Gorilla Tape for the edges and a spray can of truck bed liner for the wading boot side. Cutting cardboard templates for the curve of the tube today. Harder than I thought it would be (I'm radius challenged) I don't want to screw it up. MDO ain't cheap.
Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016   #23

Post Falls, Idaho
Good luck post up some pics of the finished project.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016   #24

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
I'll be picking up a sheet of 3/4 MDO tomorrow. Spar for the underside, Gorilla Tape for the edges and a spray can of truck bed liner for the wading boot side. Cutting cardboard templates for the curve of the tube today. Harder than I thought it would be (I'm radius challenged) I don't want to screw it up. MDO ain't cheap.
Sorry to be downer here, but I see a couple of issues.

One, I would absolutely not use gorilla tape on the edges. You want a harder surface butting up to your tubes. With gorilla tape, it'll grab grit and act as sandpaper to your tubes.

Two, if you are going to varnish the bottom, why not run it over the edges and up onto the top. tape off a buffer of maybe an inch or so from the edges and varnish the tops and sides all at once. Use one of those little small diameter rollers -it's easy as pie.

three - if your are going to spar the bottom (and maybe sides?) then why not spar the hole thing? Put 4 or 5 coats of varnish on top and sides, 2 or 3 on the bottom, then comeback and tape off the perimeter as described above. Put a heavy coat of varnish on the top, then sprinkle with grit and reroll. Mix in more grit if needed or dribble a little more varnish - you'll see what I mean when your doing it.

I've not seen good long term results with the spray on liner... it usually chips and flakes off and in my experience having a good fine grit is better than a coarser texture. In either case, you'll end up tracking mud into the boat, the coarser the texture the harder it is to get the mud out. Mud means invasive potential. In my experience, finer grit is better anyways - in either case if it gets too thick just bring a bucket and wash off the floor occasionally. It doesn't seem like I do that any less with coarse gription on the floor.

I guess in the end what I'm saying is keep it simple, varnish works great all the way around, it won't wear on your tubes on the corners and it'll be easier to clean and refinish down the road.

Good luck...

PM me if you'd like to chat, I've done this many times with numerous boats. KISS - keep it simple...
Old 08-18-2016   #25

Westminster, Colorado
Elk

Sounded like good a good idea. For the grit is play sand too fine?
Old 08-18-2016   #26
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
For the edges where they rub against the tubes we used to use old garden hose; split it length wise and fit to the edge. We never secured it but there should be a way to make it semi permanent. We just fought the thing on as we rigged; once in place it stayed. Pain in the backside otherwise, but very effective rub strake otherwise.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016   #27

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
Elk

Sounded like good a good idea. For the grit is play sand too fine?
Play sand works ok but varies a lot in size. My favorite is aluminum oxide powder, it's cheap, sold in the paint dept as grit and gives excellent grip. When you first get it, you'll think oh wow, no way this will work but it does. It's really fine, like finger than sugar but the end result is perfect grip and essentially invisible. I found it @ menards, FWIW.

Fine ground walnut shells a close second of you can find it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 08-18-2016   #28
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Just thought this thread could use a photo of Polymax actually used as a floor.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1471581321.691454.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	12213
I love that I can run a strap around the frame and through any hole, waves crash right through, I can sit my strainer on the floor and pour dishwater through while sitting in my seat, and I can piss while continuing to row.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016   #29

Westminster, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Just thought this thread could use a photo of Polymax actually used as a floor.Attachment 12213
I love that I can run a strap around the frame and through any hole, waves crash right through, I can sit my strainer on the floor and pour dishwater through while sitting in my seat, and I can piss while continuing to row.
That is feature that comes in handy. Take note beer drinkers.
Old 08-24-2016   #30

Westminster, Colorado
Finished the floors.
3/4 MDO
6 coats of urethane on bottom and 7 coats on top with last two coats mixed with Rust-Oleum EPOX Shield Anti-Skid Additive (very fine and uniform from Ace hardware) top is like sandpaper, except the edges.
Added recycled rubber mat for I wear studs on my wading boots. Photos taken with raft deflated and straps loose. Took a little adjustment but fairly stable now.
Thanks Elkhunt for your generous counsel.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]