Anyone have photos of HDPE or POLYMAX rigging of floors? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 08-15-2016   #11

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I could add Al angles to the Polymax. From the replies I'm starting to think 3/4 inch MDO or CDX. Owning a fishing rafting is new to me. When I read the term "decking" used I incorrectly assumed it was at the bottom of the raft and something you stand on.

Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2016   #12

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
When I read the term "decking" used I incorrectly assumed it was at the bottom of the raft and something you stand on.
Some people do use it for that, but osteoporosis go for something more rigid if you need to stand on it a lot.
Old 08-15-2016   #13

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Some people do use it for that, but osteoporosis go for something more rigid if you need to stand on it a lot.
You're knocking the typos out of the park lately!
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #14

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
3/4 ACX. No flex.
5/8 ACX little flex.
I would use 3/4. You won't save much weight with such a small piece by going thinner. Do use ACX though. It is better than CDX.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #15

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sembob View Post
3/4 ACX. No flex.
5/8 ACX little flex.
I would use 3/4. You won't save much weight with such a small piece by going thinner. Do use ACX though. It is better than CDX.

Jim
For the non wood educated. Cdx

C is quality of one face. Think a, b, c, d, etc... For knots splits and shit wood.

D makes up the middle

X is the other face. If you put x down to the floor side, seal it or not it will soak up water. And if you stand on x with anything but a work boot you will get splinters.

Home Depot sells all kinds of B and C ply woods in pre cut sheets 24x24 to 4x4

Etc... That are the same price as cdx and you don't have to take the whole sheet.

Consider that also, and I agree go 3/4 if you can.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #16

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
You're knocking the typos out of the park lately!
Damn it! Fumble fingers after being on a Main salmon trip. Fumble brain too....
Old 08-15-2016   #17

Westminster, Colorado
A 24 X 48 piece is all I need to make floors for the 10.5' raft. Is there an issue with a suspended floor using 1" buckle straps moving side to side and front to back?
Old 08-16-2016   #18

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
As far as ACX Vs CDX goes. ACX has one side that has had blemishes filled with footballs and sanded. The X ensures it is assembled with weather resistant glue. The ACX has less blows or hollow spots within the field (seemingly).
Your local lumber yard will sell all these products cheaper than Home Depot. And you won't need to put it in a shopping cart. Most have a panel saw and could cut a sheet in half if you need to fit it in your Subaru. You will own both halves though.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016   #19

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
For the non wood educated. Cdx

C is quality of one face. Think a, b, c, d, etc... For knots splits and shit wood.

D makes up the middle

X is the other face. If you put x down to the floor side, seal it or not it will soak up water. And if you stand on x with anything but a work boot you will get splinters.

Home Depot sells all kinds of B and C ply woods in pre cut sheets 24x24 to 4x4

Etc... That are the same price as cdx and you don't have to take the whole sheet.

Consider that also, and I agree go 3/4 if you can.
Sorry, this is not quite right. For CDX there is a C face and a D back with eXterior glue as Sembob said. ACX has an A face (clear of large knots, filled and sanded and a C back, large knots cut out and filled with footballs, filled and sanded. D face is no fill, knots commonly in place up to a certain number of knots per area.... There is AA grade, B grades, etc... it all depends on what folks are using if for. I tend to agree with the premis though, ACX typically seem to have fewer internal voids than does CDX. Another consideration between qualities is number of ply's. cheaper plywood may have less plys. the more plys the stiffer typically.
Old 08-16-2016   #20

Westminster, Colorado
Correct on the meaning of X, it stands for "exposure". Made with water resistant glues.

MDO (HDO)
Demanding applications such as concrete forming, exterior siding, and industrial containers require tough building materials. APA trademarked High and Medium Density Overlay plywood (HDO and MDO) combine the toughness of Exterior-type plywood with the superior wear of an overlaid surface. These features place HDO and MDO among the most durable construction materials on the market today.

HDO and MDO feature highly durable, resin-impregnated fiber faces. The thermoset resin, bonded under heat and pressure, forms a very tough surface that easily resists abrasion, moisture penetration, chemicals, and deterioration. HDO is manufactured with more resin than MDO, but both are far more durable than standard plywood and are ideal for use in the most punishing of applications. Yet they retain plywood's advantages, such as high strength to weight ratio, dimensional stability, and rack resistance, as well as plywood's design flexibility.
Engineer Wood Association

From what I have read MDO has been used is boat building since the 60's though it wasn't called MDO.