Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 06-10-2016   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Any impassable bridges/obstacles on Upper CO Pumphouse to Catamount at 4K cfs?

I want to run the Upper CO this weekend from Pumphouse down to Catamount. Looks like flows will about 4,000cfs. Are there any issues with passing under any of the bridges or other obstacles at these levels? Been on it at lower flows (and plenty of other rivers are higher water) but can't remember if anything seemed like it might be an issue. Thanks!

spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016   #2
Eagle County, Colorado
Possibly. Some crafts like large drift boats with high bows or rafts with fishing frames may need to takeout at the upper Two Bridges access point. I watched a fully rigged boat make it under today at 3:30pm (you can check the flows if you like). But some are taking out before the second bridge. Stop and scout it when you go to run shuttle, or before you run it. In the past, once the pumphouse gauge is above 5000cfs it gets very close for most boats.

ECOS_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016   #3
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't think so. The bridge that causes trouble first, as the river goes up, is the private bridge directly above two bridges river access, it should still be ok, you can scout it easily from the boat ramp if you want. The property owner allows people to take out directly above the bridge at high flows, when this bridge becomes a decapitator, so to speak.
Several miles down stream, there is a second, old, private bridge, the support cables become the next thing to be a hazard at high water, it will be fine, but going right is a better plan, specially once it's above 7 grand or so.
Heads up that both Yarmony, and Needles Eye get big at high water, 4,000 should be fine, unless your new, or have little ones.
Think of me what you will, I got a little space to fill.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016   #4
Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Stay left at Catamount before the new/old bridge. The wave train on the right will pull you past the take out. Did Rancho to catamount last week at 3k ish. In at 12:45, out at 5:00.
PoppyOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016   #5
Nederland, Co. nearest town., Either grace or kerfuffled
Paddling Since: 1985
I haven't been there for years. Are talking about "state bridge" or somewhere day or two lower, after "Rodeo Rapid"? I dont even remember any other bridges (cept "state bridge" and high railroad bridge. But this was 86, 87. Where do people take out day or multiday?
(I worked for a long gone company that had private beach takeout, past railroad bridge on river right.)
Jungle Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016   #6
evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
upper colorado

did pumphouse to horse creek last week/ pulled out Sunday. three nights on river. high flow covered some rapids but easy float with afternoon winds. pulled our around two bridges to be safe (dre rig) but might have made it under second bridge running about 4200. saw some carnage on yarmony while camping on island/ two boats flipped in hole and crew separated/ lots of debris in water as they didn't set up left and not rigged to flip. a few injuries...did my dr thing on the island/ Rodeo easier and bigger / pinball easy setup left/ twin bridges tricky / tried the sneak right but next time would stick to middle with more room to adjust...fishing slow with high water despite lots of stone flies
rbaikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016   #7
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Upper Colorado 2 Bridges Access

Managan is offline   Reply With Quote