Any advice for Lodore @ 800cfs? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2016   #1

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2000
Any advice for Lodore @ 800cfs?

Hi folks, Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. We are a group of three 14' rafts with a late July launch and we are expecting roughly 800 cfs.

If you have any tips for the river at this level, especially for Hells Half Mile and any of the bonier sections please post them up. I have never floated Lodore at any flow. I've studied the guides and lots of videos but thinking I will get the best advice here. Thanks again.

Nuevo Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2016   #2

Paddling Since: 1994
Everything is pretty straight forward assuming you are a solid class 3 boater and you look at hells. It comes up pretty quick after triplet.

If your last camp is jones hole, plan on an early launch to get out at a reasonable hour. The push out from jones can be a hell of a long day at 800-1200 if you get stuck in the afternoon winds.
Old 07-15-2016   #3

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thanks ZBaird. Much appreciated.
Old 07-15-2016   #4

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
We have a 7/20 launch. When are you launching? - It looks like they will ramp the flows up a tad...

Flaming Gorge Dam is currently releasing 1,100 cfs. Releases during the base flow season through September 30, 2016, will be modified regularly to provide for Colorado Pikeminnow flows in Reach 2 of the Green River. Targeted flow levels in Reach 2 will vary between approximately 2,000 cfs to 2,300 cfs. Yampa River flows are decreasing and it is prudent to increase releases to maintain targeted flow levels.
Therefore, Flaming Gorge releases will be increased to 1,700 cfs beginning Thursday, July 14, 2016, according to the linked schedule. Releases may be increased or decreased further depending upon Yampa River flows and updated information will be posted.

http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/cs...entRelease.pdf
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #5

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thanks for the information. That's definitely news to me. Our launch is either 29 or 30. I'll be driving North a day or two earlier for the gear explosion
Old 07-15-2016   #6

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Get through echo by 11 or risk the winds.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #7

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
With increasing flows mentioned, you shouldn't have any problems if you are a solid Class 3 boater. Very difficult to scout Triplet, just remember to pull away from birth canal. It's not difficult, but still had someone in my group go in there last year. Scout Hells. A definite move to make in the rapid and it's an easy scout. Some people will say to go left around Lucifer, but I always seem to get pushed right and just go with it. Never had an issues right. Rapids on last day are really easy, but agree with earlier comment to get an early start and watch for sand bars at lower flows. We had flows in May of 15,000 and it was still a brutal paddle out given wicked headwinds.
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Pay attention to the map too. There is one section of Rainbow Park where one channel takes you MUCH longer then the others and its not obvious without the map. I took the short route last time and some others in the group took the long and they seemed like they were almost a mile behind me. If you are battling the potential winds that can happen in Rainbow it can add a lot of time and effort to the trip.

That said, the lowest I've ran it was 3000 cfs, so that option may or may not be there at lower flows.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Pay attention to the map too. There is one section of Rainbow Park where one channel takes you MUCH longer then the others and its not obvious without the map. I took the short route last time and some others in the group took the long and they seemed like they were almost a mile behind me. If you are battling the potential winds that can happen in Rainbow it can add a lot of time and effort to the trip.

That said, the lowest I've ran it was 3000 cfs, so that option may or may not be there at lower flows.
Won't be able to take that short cut at low water.
Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #10

Craig, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumble View Post
Won't be able to take that short cut at low water.
Took short cut yesterday at 2,200cfs (Green River in Jensen). Still a go at that level...

Also, I echo denali1322's comment on Lucifer. I tried to go left (downstream ferry). It pushed me right anyway, and I went into Lucifer sideways (near flip and 2 passengers swam) at 800cfs. Shaken and little bruised, but nothing serious. Other boats behind me saw my line and pushed right instead and cleared Lucifer with no problem...
Fishn is offline   Reply With Quote