Old 07-15-2016   #11
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2000
You all are really coming through for me. I really appreciate all the advice. We'll get everything ready to roll the last night and have coffee and power bars for breakfast on takeout day and put everyone to work rowing.

Triplet and Hell's advice really appreciated too. Safety first makes it a lot more fun.

Nuevo Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #12
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Triplet and Hells are easy scouts. Stay away from undercut wall river right at disaster. Bring bug spray-

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Sherpa9543 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #13
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The short cut in Island Park is a left about 1/4 mile past the Island Park camp. If it looks fine at the entrance to it it should be fine all the way through.

I've been in Lodore a few times at low water, and will be again early Aug and mid Sept. It's fine, I wouldn't want to miss it. Row carefully, especially at the entrance to Triplet and lower Disaster. And other places.

Still a great trip at low water.unless you have a huge heavy boat or if it's unusually windy.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #14
NE, Oregon
Ditto on going right of Lucifer, use that time to set up a RL ferry angle to move left below it.
Willie 1.5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016   #15
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
We used to take the Rainbow Park shortcut at all levels but last year it had filled with gravel and we had to drag quite a way - use at your own risk.

And an added caveat about Hell's: Lucifer (the big round rock center right just below the entrance) is usually easily missed and usually not a risk for wraps. A smaller rock, center right and a little further down (with I call HRE rock, because there's often an HRE boat wrapped there when we go through) can be a nasty wrap at lower levels. It can be avoided either side, though tight at low levels, but you have to commit early and follow through. Look downstream and don't mistake Lucifer for the end of the rapid.
Infidien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016   #16
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thanks everyone for the great specific advice. My group and I appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2016   #17
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thanks again for all the advice. We got off the river late yesterday. All three of our boats ran to the right of Lucifer which worked out well. Weather was hot but nice. Check in went smoothly. The bugs weren't too bad although we had some Mosquitos, Deer flies, and No See Ums or some kind of biting gnat.

We had a great trip and got some excellent advice here.

River Runners of Vernal did a great shuttle and discovered a problem with my trailer. We fixed it at the takeout and that saved us a potential hassle.