Old 04-25-2014   #1
Montrose, Colorado
Anticipated Flows in Gunny Gorge -- May/June

I attended yesterday's (4/24/2014) Aspinall operations meeting (see attached handout). The flows this year are very likely to be managed really differently than any previous season. The Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) is operating under their Record of Decision (ROD) from an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) that they've spent the last several years developing. It is now signed, final and in effect. They were operating under the ROD last year, but because of the very poor run-off situation there was not much impact from it on recreational river use.

This year however, things are way different. This year we are at the high end of an "average wet" scenario for inflows into Blue Mesa Reservoir, with an inflow forcast of 850,000 acre feet. That triggers flow obligations on the part of BOR that will siginficantly affect recreational use on the Gunnison River downriver from Crystal Dam, likely from mid-May through June. The flow targets are designed to benefit threatened and endangered warm water fish species.

(see page 25 of attachment)

According to the ROD, releases under the current inflow forcast have to be managed to deliver 14,450 cfs to Whitewater for a duration of 10 days. Also required is the delivery of 8,070 cfs at Whitewater for 40 days. So BOR will be releasing enough water from Crystal Dam through Black Canyon and Gunnison Gorge to make up for whatever is needed in excess of the runoff from the North Fork, Uncompahgre River, and the few downriver side drainages that add a bit to flows during spring runoff. According to the runoff forcasts, releases from Crystal Dam will need to be pretty big to accomplish this.

Here's a scenario that is likely. The black line on the graph represents flows through the Gunnison Gorge in the scenario.

(see page 32 of attachment)

The timing of the releases is weather-dependent, and will be timed to match peak runoff of the North Fork and Cimarron Rivers. So that may change from what you see on the graph. It may happen a bit earlier or a bit later than the dates on the graph. But from what I learned yesterday, I would expect that the magnitude and duration of the releases from Crystal to pretty closely match the graph above. If so, it will have big impacts to May/June fishing.

On the other hand, it will make for some high-flow boating opportunities in the Gunnison Gorge and nice sporty flows on the Lower Gunnison. Could be a good year for multi-day raft trips from Gunnison Forks (near the Pleasure Park) to Whitewater.

I have not mentioned the 24 hour peak flow for the Black Canyon water right because the 10-day peak will exceed this year's Black Canyon target of 6,400 cfs. Therefore, it's a moot point.

Crystal Dam will spill this year. Morrow Point Dam will probably spill, and Blue Mesa Dam may need to spill to deliver the required flows.

Blue Mesa Reservoir is expected to fill this summer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf aspinall140424.pdf (1.49 MB, 125 views)

efranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #2
Right on! Will definitely be having to visit the area for some the high flows. Thanks for the update!

American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #3
GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Head is expanding trying to process this.

Anyone care to distill all of that into a guess on when they'll start spilling from Crystal?

At roughly what flow?

And for how long?
mikesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #4
Montrose, Colorado
The maximum flow through Crystal Dam (power generation plus bypass) is 4350 cfs. So the spill may be somewhere in the range of 4000 cfs in order to hit the 10 day target at Whitewater. But the exact spill rate will be determined mainly by runoff from the North Fork. As for timing, that's weather dependent.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-27-2014   #5
West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Would that delay a stonefly hatch to some significance?
TapStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #6
Montrose, Colorado
Anticipated Flows in Gunny Gorge -- May/June

What I understand of stonefly emergence (which is not much) is that the timing is sensitive to water temperature. I think 52 degrees F is the magic number. High releases may keep the water temp down a bit longer, but I'm not sure. If Windknot2 is paying attention to this thread, I'm sure he could give a better answer.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-28-2014   #7
Montrose, Colorado
This bodes well for a lot of runs! Thanks for the info.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #8
denver, Colorado
I would also be interested in trying to hear a guess of flows during the hatch.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #9
Montrose, Colorado
ATTENTION BOATERS AND FISHERS: Flows in the Gunnison River through Black Canyon and the Gunnison Gorge are expected to increase dramatically as we head into Memorial Day weekend. On 5/22/2014 or 5/23/2014 the Bureau of Reclamation will begin releasing progressively increasing flows from upstream at Crystal Reservoir. Flows may increase from 500 cubic feet per second (cfs) to around 3,000 cfs by Memorial Day (5/26). Flows will likely continue to increase over the following week, and may reach 8,000 cfs or higher around the first of June, and are expected to remain in that range for ten days. After that, flows are expected to taper to the 4,000 to 6,000 cfs range for the remainder of June 2014.
Old 05-20-2014   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Wow. Need to find Milo's beta again but I'm sure that rules out a float fishing trip for the last weekend of June.

theusualsuspect is offline   Reply With Quote