Old 04-10-2009   #1
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
another raft repair thread

So a buddy of mine and I are going to patch his pvc boat tomorrow. The small rip is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches and is on the under side of the floor. The boat does not have an inner air bladder. This is my plan of attack and I think I could use some pointers as this will be the first time for either of us.

1. ruff up area about 1 inch around the hole inside and out
2. clean pvc with rubbing alcohol
3. put glue inside outside and on the patches let dry until not sticky
4. more glue dry untill sticky
5. place patch inside apply pressure (wait until dry or place outer patch?)
6. let dry for ? hours/days before testing

davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Since i'm the only dope around, I wouldn't bother with the inside/outside patches, just outside. I just don't think it's that big, unless there's something special about PVC that recommends both always.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #3
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Here a link to PVC Repair from Riverconnection. It suggests tears > 1 inch should have an inside patch.

It seems like it’d be better to first do the inside, then the outside patch. This will take longer, but you’ll get better results.

If you glue both sides until tacky, you will not be able to apply pressure unless you put both patches on simultaneously. Also, you can get some practice with the inside patch, then use your perfected technique on the patch showing.

You may be able to remove the valve to get an extra couple of fingers on the inside of the tube to manipulate the patch and glue into place.

Take your time, and make sure there’s plenty of ventilation.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
That's a nice little repair rundown. You should use MEK on plastic coated fabrics so your glue will adhere to the nylon fabric under the coating. MEK is a dangerous solvent that can be cancerous so use gloves and a respirator. Just alcohol will not scratch the surface coating enough and your patch will probably fail in time. If you want a complete and longwinded explanation on patching Using Our Adheasive for Inflatable Boat Repair_Jack's Plastic Welding inc will tell in detail what's going on. Just be sure to do it in a controlled environment and it needs to be clean, dry and not too humid. In my experience Stabond is OK, Clifton is better.
hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #5
Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
If your floor is inflatable, like a tube and if you are patching the inside, remember to tape in an appropriate sized piece of plastic sheeting (painters plastic) on the interior but opposite of the tear side. This will hopefully keep you from glueing both sides together as you roll the interior patch into place. The plastic is abandoned inside the airspace after the patch is complete.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #6
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Have done several inside/outside patches. Cant tell from posts weather this is necesary here, but my experience shows no reason you cant do them together. If you have the inner patch in place you should be able to just put the outer one on as well. No need for the inner one to dry first. Once on, use some roller to tamp it all down and work out any air pockets. PVC glue is workable set pretty quick i think, then 24 overnight for full set. Can certainly do an on river repair and be boating within the hour, but if you have the time let it sit a day.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote