Mountain Buzz banner

Aire River Couch Mods

Tags
aire
27K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  90Duck 
#1 ·
I bought one of these at Cascade River Supply in Boise last week.
Inflatable Cylinder

I'm excited to have a sweet river couch. However, I thought it would be fun to try and turn this into a boat. With a little bit of work I thought this could turn into a fun R2 paddle boat. I have a friend who took one down the Main Payette last summer. He said it was essentially like swimming the whole river. Most of the YouTube videos I've seen show them dumping the boaters out the front.

https://vimeo.com/85381733

I thought that adding a couple of thwarts to the front might help stabilize it. Like this.
Inflatable Product Inflatable boat Games bounce house

But, how to attach them? Any other ideas?

I also thought it might be fun to mount it behind the rowers seat for day trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

See less See more
#9 ·
I hear you on the cost. I guess it depends on the river and the riders. Despite the videos, I suspect these are meant for more of a lazy ride. I definitely wouldn't send my kids down anything swift on it as it is. And I personally wouldn't go beyond class II on it without substantial support. But what a crazy fun ride! If you can work it out with just one, I'd love to see it.

#10 ·
Clarification: I meant to say that because of the design and even with the thwarts, I personally wouldn't feel stable enough for more than a float (kids) or class II (me). Cost issue aside, back to back would be a little less crazy but still great fun.

And better than a boat, imo. Unless you're trying to stay dry.

#13 ·
Yeah, they're self bailing. The tube you sit on has a 2 inch gap between it and the tube behind it. That way the Cheetos don't get caught between the cushions.

Our favorite day trip rivers are all class III so maybe that's a little to extreme.

Yarrow, have you ever tried tying them together with front facing front? It seems like that would keep you inside a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#19 ·
Dr. Andy, no I haven't tried that, but face to face was actually my first thought when you posted- like parlor seating. I would want to leave a little room between the two so you can still ride a bit loose and get wet, but that could be problematic with kids (I always think in terms of kids- I have 5.) Wouldn't want anyone getting stuck between the couches! Still, if you attached them from the bottom cushions using straps like the photo, you could adjust the slack accordingly- loose for adults and butting up for kids? I think it's worth trying. Have you ever seen these couches for rent?

#21 ·
That's funny! I actually put it up on the back of my raft. The couch got in the way of my rowing motion. So I moved it back until it was balanced on the back tube. That was perfect for me except there is a big hole right under where your feet are with a huge drop from the couch to the floor of the raft. I think if you put a table or board behind the row seat it would get rid of the big hole and give couch sitters a place to rest their feet.

#22 ·
Here is a pic.

The "card system" is one of the attachment systems used to attach thwarts to boats such as the mentioned BAT system from NRS.

Stick them on the thwart first, then lay the thwart against the couch, mark and glue them on. Along with making it more stable on the water it makes a great ottoman and additional seat.

Attachments

#23 ·
That really would be a sweet ride with the cat tubes! Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

zbaird, it looks like you have the couch attached to the back of the raft in that photo. Was that just for transport, or do you ride it like that? That idea kept coming to mind yesterday- like riding in the back of those monster station wagons in the 70s. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.