Mountain Buzz banner

Aire River Couch Mods

Tags
aire
27K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  90Duck 
#1 ·
I bought one of these at Cascade River Supply in Boise last week.
Inflatable Cylinder

I'm excited to have a sweet river couch. However, I thought it would be fun to try and turn this into a boat. With a little bit of work I thought this could turn into a fun R2 paddle boat. I have a friend who took one down the Main Payette last summer. He said it was essentially like swimming the whole river. Most of the YouTube videos I've seen show them dumping the boaters out the front.

https://vimeo.com/85381733

I thought that adding a couple of thwarts to the front might help stabilize it. Like this.
Inflatable Product Inflatable boat Games bounce house

But, how to attach them? Any other ideas?

I also thought it might be fun to mount it behind the rowers seat for day trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

See less See more
#31 ·
I told Cameron who works at Cascade River Supply (aka Cascade Outfitters) about the thwart idea. He asked Chris Frazee the president of Maravia about it and Chris found me the biggest thwart I've ever seen. It is the exact same size as the seat cushion on the couch. They let me have it for $50. I bought 4 Maravia thwart knuckles, some glue, MEK, and here is the result. Red Inflatable Cylinder Auto part Plastic
Inflatable Red Games Auto part Cylinder
Plastic bag Plastic wrap Plastic
Inflatable Games bounce house Inflatable boat Recreation
Red Inflatable Games Bag Recreation
Red Pink Finger Close-up Nail
Inflatable Games Fun Recreation Room

My thanks to Chris and Cameron. It makes a great ottoman too. Now I just need to wait until the weather gets warm enough to test it on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#41 ·
No, the kids were having difficulty. My kids don't know how to paddle much yet. On our raft, I do almost all the rowing. We are going to put the thwarts into the my old 14' and do some day runs this season as a paddle crew.

As far as paddling goes, I think it moves better sideways. The best way I found was to straddle the middle tube and lean out over the arm rest and paddle. It wasn't like paddling a SUP but we were able to scoot around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.