Old 03-08-2009   #1
Boston, Massachusetts
Afternoon Rafting Adventure in South Utah

Hey All,

This is my first post - your community seemed like a great place to get some good information on the rafting in Utah. I am from Boston, MA and will be going on a trip through Southern Utah and Northern Arizona in late June.

My group would like to go on a white water rafting adventure for an afternoon. We are not experienced paddlers, but would like some adventure. We are 24, 23, 21 and 14 - and all in above average physical condition.

We'll be spending a day in Moab, UT - is there good rafting out of there? Otherwise, we'd love to find a fun area that is below Route 70.

Any suggestions?

tiredew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Find one of the outfitters to take you down Westwater Canyon for a day trip- it'll be a spectacular river trip- should be a good flow, and the scenery will be unlike any you'll see out East. There are more than a few outfitters that run trips down Westwater. There are probably some guides that will chime in on this post...

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #3
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
At Moab you can find a trip on the "Moab Daily". But, I agree with Flaco. Go north to Westwater. The Daily is rather tame, Westy is great fun and well worth the drive. You'll do it one day and will want to go back the next.

After Westy you'll be able to tell your friends back east great stories about Skull Rapid and the Room of Doom, Funnel Falls, Sock it to Me, and more.

David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #4
Boston, Massachusetts
Wow guys - thanks so much for the fast advice. Westwater looks to be only 1.5 hrs away from Moab. It seems to be well worth the drive.

A few follow-up questions:

Are there any specific outfitters that folks would recommend?

Also, any suggestions for a nice spot between Moab and Westwater to grab a bite and a beer after a day of rafting?
tiredew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #5
Carbondale, Colorado
Check out the brewpub in Cisco.
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'll throw a plug for Red River Adventures. They work with Moki Mac to run trips on Westwater. Chelsea, Landon, and Caroline are awesome guides - request them by name. I have done numerous trips (Cataract Canyon, Grand Canyon, Gore Canyon, etc.) with them and they rock. 1-877-259-4046.

They can recommend places to get some food. Here is a picture of the Cisco Brewpub, you might want to go elsewhere:

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #7
C. Springs, Colorado
There are a number of outfitters in Moab that run Westwater. Like Grif.......he'll take ya.

Colorado River Rafting | Green River Whitewater | Family Trips | Sheri Griffith River Expeditions | Moab Utah
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #8
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Westy is a great choice. It is fun, but still calm enough for an unexperienced group. I work for Tag-a-Long Expeditions for a few months out of the year, so i would say go with them (Ask for Allison). Other companies in town are Adrift Adventures, Navtec, and Canyon Voyages. I have not heard anything bad about any of the companies, so maybe no news is good news. I would go with one of these companies, so that they run your shuttle, and get you to and from the put looking for food on the way!
As for a place to eat in Moab, i would choose the Moab Brewery (unlike the cisco brewery) can't beat 15 cent wings Monday-Wednesday night!

Swan is offline   Reply With Quote