Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 02-14-2014   #11
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I did the MF the first time as a relative newbie at about 2.5 ft. Launched on July 5th. It was a great trip. I had really strong people to follow and that helped a lot. On another thread, someone described the MF as a "busy" river and that's a great description. Especially the first two days. You can't let your attention drift. Someone else mentioned weather. That was the coldest July trip I've ever done. Rain and cold for the first few days. Have a great trip. It's a fantastic river.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #12
subaru, down by the river
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
Prior to my first MFS trip I was confident in my ability and had done all the runs mentioned above many times at many levels. I have no shame in saying I got my ass handed to me in the top 20 miles. Toughest day of boating I have ever had. Granted, I was a bit overloaded, but they day quickly went to $#!% for me. The next time I ran it I had no problems, mostly because I was more aware of what to expect.
This is great info! I'm putting in June 16 for my first MFS trip also. You guys are getting me pumped! Just got the Leidecker book, but this helps me get a real idea of what to expect. I'm thinking healthy flows on the Ark/Poudre/Gallatin up top and Snake/Clark Forkish towards the end?

turtle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #13
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
This thread's making me miss the Poudre. Poudre at 4+ and throw in the Rustics for sure. Cause if it's over 4ft.....why would you not be hittin up Rustics?

It should be more mellow in July Though.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #14
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
Howdy folks. Finally scored a MFS permit for a July 1 launch date. First time on the river and am looking for suggestions on some "training runs" to shake the rust off this spring/early summer. Is there anything in CO that is comparable to the MFS @ +/- 3-3.5'? Northgate at a decent flow? Poudre @ 3-4'? Something on the Ark?

Many thanks for the feedback.
Too small at the top and too big at the bottom. On july 1 Probably the perfect date. You will have water. Unless you have too much water, then take a cataraft.

How to prepare. Take way too much gear on an upper Animas trip. Of course that is not recommended either. I have run the MF with way too many people and way too much gear, way too late in the year. Just keep an eye on the water level and If it dips below 2.5 ft, think about taking more boats less people and less gear. My good friend Mike Mc Carty took a 16 ft non bailer down last year at 2.05! He did his trainining by being a commercial guide on the Animas town run All summer with way too many people in low water.

So that is the trick.

jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote