Old 09-18-2014   #31
Melbourne, VIctoria
Originally Posted by loot87 View Post
I had ACL reconstruction in 93 on right knee, 94 on my right. Both used patella grafts. Most of the meniscus is gone, but I don't know the particular %.
For the first 15 years, I didn't change anything.
In the last 5 years, I've had to give up on running and basketball. I ride my MTB instead of jogging now.
I cut back on the moguls quite a bit and just content myself to the trees.
I'm 46 now. I still ski and play softball, though I wear cloth, hinged braces. I stopped wearing the carbon-fiber braces a long time ago.
I've had a few goo shots over the years. They help some.
Arthritis has really picked up in the last few years.
The thing that makes the most difference is your workout regimen. Work out your legs a lot and they'll feel stable with minimal pain. Let that slide and you'll be sore all the time.

I'm just buying time until I can get full knee replacements. I'm waiting on the technology to get to where you can get multiple ones per knee so that I don't have to eliminate anymore activities.
Thanks for your feedback. What do you mean you are waiting for technology to improve to get multiple one per knee ?
What is goo shot ? I hear synivum shot can be good to releave arthritic pain. Did you try that ? Was your meniscus trimmed in 94/95 ? I believe this is the main trigger to arthritic changes.

fabienzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014   #32
Lyons, Colorado
Current technology is that you can only replace it once,so you have to modify your activity to make it last. I'm waiting on it to get better. The goo shot is this injection you get that puts lube in the joint. Feels better for a few months. My meniscus was mostly removed in both knees because it was so torn up. What's left does swell up sometimes and I have to drain it and shoot with steroids.

loot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014   #33
Melbourne, VIctoria
Originally Posted by gh View Post
20+ years since my ACL repair. Left knee fixed with patella splice. Rehab was long and regaining flexibility in that leg was tough but I am happy that I did it. 20 years of biking, etc and some minor arthritis is creeping in but i dont have many joints that arent so I dont think that the ACL tear/fix was a part of that. Any particulars, just ask and I will help all I can.
Gh, I had my acl reconstructed with Hamstring at the age of 43 years old (8 weeks ago). I have also got 1 posterior horn medial meniscus tear of 1.2 cm and 2 smaller tear of the lateral meniscus. All were left untouched during the operation as they don't really bother me. I am wondering if you had any meniscus damage at time of you reconstruction and what did they do with it ?I damaged mine playing basketball and kept on playing as the physio I went to see mis diagnosed me. Please feel free to reply to

fabienzan is offline   Reply With Quote