A tale of woe, shuttle co totalled car and trailer... any thoughts/suggestions - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 08-06-2016   #21

Southern, Oregon
I had a shuttle company finish off my clutch on a trip over Bear Camp on the Rogue a few years back. I coule smell it when I got in my truck at Foster. When I got home I had a message that said they had to put in "oil" in my truck and wanted me to pay for it. Smell something burning add oil was the option I guess. I limped it home

The clutch was old for sure but it was not slipping etc when I dropped it off (engaged at the end), Anyway I called and paid for the oil as my truck was probably a 1/2 quart low as usual when I go 6 months without changing (it was over full when I got it back).I use a different company now, but I let it go as it was bound ot happen I guess.

Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016   #22

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
did this happen on deso?
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016   #23

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntsheriff View Post
did this happen on deso?
The original post? No, it wasn't deso.
Old 08-07-2016   #24

+1 on getting an attorney. If the shuttle company denies liability and won't go though their insurance to compensate you, talk to a reputable attorney. If they think they can win you good compensation, they will take the case. If they don't, they won't take it and you're not out anything extra. The shuttle's insurance will most likely be on the hook, and they are likely to settle for a reasonable amount to cut short the time and cost of fighting the litigation.
protechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016   #25

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by protechie View Post
+1 on getting an attorney. If the shuttle company denies liability and won't go though their insurance to compensate you, talk to a reputable attorney. If they think they can win you good compensation, they will take the case. If they don't, they won't take it and you're not out anything extra. The shuttle's insurance will most likely be on the hook, and they are likely to settle for a reasonable amount to cut short the time and cost of fighting the litigation.
They will have a commercial auto policy for $1M minimum. Most attorneys will bite when there is a commercial auto policy in place and they are looking at also making some bucks. The insurance carrier will cave and make the payout to avoid bad faith claims. I would also ask who their insurance agent is and also go direct to them.
Skyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016   #26
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
From long and bitter experience with lawyers, get yourself a junk yard dog attorney and structure the contingency fee so that their fee goes up significantly once you are made whole.
They will do their barking and biting fast and hard and the insurance company/shuttle company will settle faster.
Sorry for your loss; but, maybe you needed a new rig anyway..........or you lost a good friend. Either way, it sucks
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #27
Gary F

Philipsburg, Montana
Paddling Since: 1984
We have had nothing but excellent service with this group in Idaho. They also only hire seasoned drivers and pay them well so they stay year after year. 208-839-2308 allrivers@frontier.com
Talk to Michelle

kokoroltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #28
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd second that most release waivers won't actually hold water in court. These story's make the reputable shuttle company's seem even more valuable! Sorry to hear about all the peoples shit that got fucked up. Makes me Knock on a bunch of wood!!!!!
Old 08-24-2016   #29

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'd like to point out that almost every "reputable" shuttle company has had mishaps and from what I know for a fact, EVERY company identified here as reputable, reliable, etc. ALL have had issues. It's just a matter of numbers as most of these companies have done thousands, if not tens of thousands of shuttles.

This begs the question - what truly makes a shuttle company good when even bad things happen? It's about what they do to make it right - because, as mentioned above, it's just a matter of time that every single shuttle company has anything from a minor mishap to completely totaling a customer's vehicle.

In other words - the actual damage will typically be covered by /someone's/ insurance - what will make me determine if the shuttle company is good (e.g. reputable) is what they do to make it right at the take-out as well as after the claims are settled.
Old 08-24-2016   #30
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
I'd like to point out that almost every "reputable" shuttle company has had mishaps and from what I know for a fact, EVERY company identified here as reputable, reliable, etc. ALL have had issues. It's just a matter of numbers as most of these companies have done thousands, if not tens of thousands of shuttles.

This begs the question - what truly makes a shuttle company good when even bad things happen? It's about what they do to make it right - because, as mentioned above, it's just a matter of time that every single shuttle company has anything from a minor mishap to completely totaling a customer's vehicle.

In other words - the actual damage will typically be covered by /someone's/ insurance - what will make me determine if the shuttle company is good (e.g. reputable) is what they do to make it right at the take-out as well as after the claims are settled.
I couldn't agree with you more.