Old 11-29-2012   #71
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
I sure hope I don't sound like that when I guide.

My guess is that would be the byproduct of adrenaline -- in large quantities -- coursing through his veins.

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #72
Ashlandistan, Oregon
I've been curious about that run for quite some time. Had to turn the volume off though as I couldn't take the yell o' fear any longer. Ironically the guy rowing in the front of the tandam oar rig appears to be wearing a mountaineering helmet, which most would agree is inappropriate gear for whitewater. Bottom line for me is to each their own as long as they can clean up their own mess.

solboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #73
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
They run pins and clips. Awesome. All those who say they are bad they seem to work on this run lol. Oh and I run both open and pins but seem to get looked down on from people when running p's and c's. Sweet video.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #74
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Cool video. That's certainly not your average whitewater video. I wouldn't mind an edited version for us MTV generation people - a little too much GoPro of crashing waves and holes for me - but certainly a comprehensive view of the canyon.

I remember a while back someone posted a Doug Ammons article in which he
muses about the cutting edge of the sport and questions how worthy running
waterfalls is when someone (Rolf K.) can just plunge over Metlako in a tube
with only so much as a glance.

I wonder if he would now apply the same logic to running big water given that you can take a Creature Craft, flail through Site Zed and come out the bottom happily bobbing downstream? It seems very analogous.

Here's a couple relevant quotes from him about running waterfalls:
"If you think a little further, running waterfalls is a rather odd pastime. Surely it is spectacular, which for most people is probably a good enough reason to do it. However, I’m reminded of the oddness by the guy who ran a 105-footer in Oregon in an inner tube after “scouting” for three minutes. The kayaker who ran the falls originally scoped it out for months, but the tuber just glanced at the falls, climbed aboard and shoved off. He made it fine, although he fell off his tube at the bottom."

"But it begs a question for the present discussion: what does it mean that something formidable in a kayak is easy in an inner tube? Why is it that a waterfall requiring “cutting edge” skill and daring in an specialized kayak can be run by somebody using a tube you can buy for $10 at a gas station? If you think about that very much, it suggests running falls in a kayak is silly."

"The edge should lead us to a greater understanding of our true limits, not to deluding ourselves about our skill and daring. When the innertubers are seeing more clearly than we are, then we’ve got a problem. We need to apply the old Chinese proverb: “he who criticizes me correctly is my teacher.” The question for us collectively is, are we willing to learn from a tuber?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #75
GWS, Colorado
Just some casual surfing in Wasson's Hole. No biggie.
Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #76
Boise/Hokitika (New Zealand), Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
Congrats Mark...

I have the utmost respect for Mark Cramer....

I gave him a shuttle ride on the North Fork of the Payette about a week before he left for the Stikine and had a chance to talk with him. Amazing dedication to Cat-Boating (etc) and likely one of the best in world. He paid a price the year before on the stikine, has done decades of enumerable laps on the North Fork getting ready. His knowledge of the river was immense, he analyzed every detail of that river before leaving again.

I'm a kayaker and spend little time in a raft. No it's not certainly kayaking, it's a different beast... easier, harder, more dangerous, more safe? How am I to judge?

Regardless, achieving the triple crown in any craft deserves credit and respect... it is an achievement requiring immense skill and dedication. More or less than any one else's??: there's no need or way to quantify it.

I think many will agree and I wanted to give my public congratulations to Mark and his team!

P.S.: amazing video footage.

burnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #77
Seattle, Washington
well said.

Regardless of the craft, the work that goes into something like this is legit. Who cares what people spray on the net? These guys laid out a goal and got after it for their own reasons. which is what adventure sports is all about, exploring your own limits and overcoming your challenges.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #78
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I too think, it is the right boat for the job. For the style of boating I do I don't see a specialized boat like a creature craft in my near future, but if I was going to a remote river and the risk of flip could have a devastating consequence then I would not be opposed. I do feel, all jokes aside that creature crafts have put in their time and have enough river cred to be considered a viable option for getting down the river.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #79
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Burnor well said. I think if other kayakers had a chance to meet and talk with him they'd have a different perspective. I've not wanted to say it but prior comments regarding ammons attempting the stikine again this year in his 50's and failing and age having something to do with it, wrankled me. Mark is an inspiration having achieved that first raft d/triple crown IN HIS 60's. he is an animal and approaches whitewater more meticulously and analytically than anyone i've met. Way to go. If you care about the soundtrack you are missing the boat.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012   #80
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Huge respect for Mark. He really handled himself on the river like a pro and styled much of the run including site zed. It's apples to oranges but he made it look better than Marr from the footage available. That said the other two boats were more typical creature craft blundering. Yes they got down the run but...

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote