Old 09-27-2012   #31
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
So.............what is everyone's opinion on canoes?

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #32
slickhorn said
what skin do you have in the game?
This would have made sense on the Stikine thread, but here the Creature Craft guy asked for people's opinions on Creature Crafts. A guy asked for opinions and people are voicing their opinions - that is the point of this whole discussion.

I agree with all of the above, in summation: whitewater is fun, canoes are fun but scary in whitewater, CCs run the shit but lack grace and style, and kayakers are superior to everyone else.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #33
Vancouver, BC
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by Chief Niwot View Post
So.............what is everyone's opinion on canoes?
It's good style
yeahphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #34
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I think from what i saw in the vids its just a case of "hold on and keep your head above the water". The rowers dont seem to have any control its whatever way the river wants to push them. Maybe its because the boat is so large and heavy? Maybe its the water flow is massive

When the craft goes sideways over a rapid, it hangs out in the hole for awhile, eventually rights itself and continues. Not sure you need anyone onboard. The two onboard seem to have little control over this anyhow.

I dont see how its much different than anyone else sending their S/b down a river without them. If you wait long enough, its probably gonna show up at the takeout
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #35
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post

When the craft goes sideways over a rapid, it hangs out in the hole for awhile, eventually rights itself and continues. Not sure you need anyone onboard. The two onboard seem to have little control over this anyhow.
I am a CC video addict, never been on one but with that giant tube on top I'm going to go ahead and say they are definitely NOT self-righting.

Watch the guys in the CC when they are on their side - they are actively leaning to the highside to right the CC again.

And really, who cares if they "styled" a drop - they are innovative and not everyone is so vain to care what they look like while boating, some of us just like to have fun and not judge everyone else's boat on the river.

RiverDriver - do you have a clip of the CC that got barrel rolled in Osterizer at uber-high water??
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #36
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
River Driver:

Good work on tweaking the design of a traditional raft and making it into something different. I think it is cool that CC thought outside the box and added some innovation to the raft.

To answer a couple of your questions, I don't think it takes much skill to pilot a CC. I have watched a few of your videos and it really does look like pin-balling through the rapids. As an example, in the video of Exit the oars are barely in the water and a couple times when they are the two oarsman are doing opposite strokes (on the same side).

I don't think it diminishes my accomplishments. CC's are what they are. You can't compare kayaking Exit to CCing Exit. There is no comparison.

I don't think that CC's are just stupid. They are a little goofy looking and they don't seem real functional to me but they are not stupid. I think it’s a cool idea. Just not for me.

I haven't ever been in one but I would certainly try it out.

And I think the Stikine trip is impressive. Not because you did it in a creature craft but simply because you did it. It seems like a cool trip in a cool place.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #37
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2009
They look like a lot of fun! I would love to strap into one and dive into some monster boat-eating V+ gnar (like the last drop in the Aratiatia falls video on youtube). I've seen a lot of footage in which they seem somewhat out of control, but what would a normal raft look like in a similarly sized water? I don't think you can compare them to kayaks. Any type raft is going to look way more clumsy, although the CC does have an especially dorky look. All in all I think they are a cool piece of equipment that stretches the envelope of what is possible in a raft.
catflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #38
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
I have rowed a CC on the staircase SF Payette two summers ago. it doesn't take much skill to pilot a CC but it sure takes some muscle to move it around the river. I felt most of my paddle strokes were worthless in moving the CC. I guess team work would have helped. I also felt like we hit every rock on the run. I was excited to give it a go. But once was enough for me. I think its more of a novelty than a functioning whitewater craft. Big, heavy, and spendy. weird to have a tube right in front of your vision too. I think the next round of development should be a big clear ball. just go do the river in a bubble? what do ya think?
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #39
Hi Idahofloater,

The clear bubble thing has been done -- I've seen the pictures.

Big issues with heat buildup, condensation, and (in muddy water) visibility from inside. Not to mention that pesky problem steering the thing when you're sealed inside. If I can dig up a photo later in the day, I'll post it.

Have a good one.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012   #40
I could envision some serious conflicts if a rafting company wanted to offer rides down Class V in CC and it became popular.

jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote