Old 12-03-2012   #91
subaru, down by the river
Paddling Since: 2003
Thanks for the correction.

turtle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #92
Originally Posted by tj@cu View Post
On a side note this quote from ammons that kevin posted shows his somwtimes lack of true research and that he just states his opinion:
"If you think a little further, running waterfalls is a rather odd pastime. Surely it is spectacular, which for most people is probably a good enough reason to do it. However, I’m reminded of the oddness by the guy who ran a 105-footer in Oregon in an inner tube after “scouting” for three minutes. The kayaker who ran the falls originally scoped it out for months, but the tuber just glanced at the falls, climbed aboard and shoved off. He made it fine, although he fell off his tube at the bottom."

Rolf had been scouting it for years, ammons needs to do some real research.
Also, if Ammons did his research he'd know that the famous RKelly tubed all of the Futa running every rapid but Zeta. So there goes his big water vs. big waterfall argument.

Further research would have revealed that R Kelly is a nutter and shouldn't be used to draw conclusions about sane humans.

On another note: does anyone know how much it would cost to have a creature crafter guide me down the Stikine? That front seat looks exciting. And I know a dude who can loan me a climbing helmet.

doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #93
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
This is how real water folk hit the river - anything else is overkill.

Well Put
calirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #94
Laytonville, California
Paddling Since: 1993
So true! Things can always go wrong and eventually some CCrafter is going to have a fatal swim, good thing that has never happened to a kayaker... its an interesting debate and from what I can tell tubing is the purest form of the sport? How about skinny dipping?

Cache Creek is a shit show irrigation ditch where I river guide some weekends we take kids on their first river trip and people who would rater have a guide than risk it in one of the thousands of IK's that get the good luck shove every Saturday and Sunday. Perspective is everything the first day I worked this trip was horrifying then toward the end of the summer I would calmly try to avoid the wrapped IK's and crying coeds hanging on to branches as they dig their ankles into a better foot entrapment. On one of these days I invited a guy to try rafting but he said "no I'm more of a Tuber". Its hard for me to imagine identifying as a Tuber but really it is probably the origin of whitewater as we know it though drinking beer and floating down the river has changed a lot from J-riggs to SUP's technically its just about having fun and tubing requires no assumption of skill or sobriety just get in and try not to miss the takeout.

I've boating with Darren and in my opinion his boats are amazing but Kayaks move like fish and you can carry your own boat so I've been thinking about taking up paddling but after a decade and a half of river guiding I still prefer to go rock climbing in my free time to each their own I guess.

When I first saw the CC it looked like a RedBull prop and I walked over to get a free drink... the next day they ran some water falls I've never seen anyone run. Since then I've boated with them quite a bit and even own one here are some things I've learned:

-It dose not self rite! (yes it takes skill to snap them back up just like a kayak)
-You look at the river different... big holes OK, eddies with rocks Danger! So what might look like a blown line to a kayaker could be the run for a big inflatable boat. A few cartwheels in a big hole might be preferable to a potential wrap or puncture.
-Not an Elitist sport, anyone wanting to get in a boat usually gets a free ride.
-The tops roll down! Yep then you just have cataraft vuala (don't forget to unstrap).
-They can save lives! The Rescue Craft that Darren sells to fire departments and SAR teams is designed for Low Head Dam rescue and is the only boat that can safely rescue a swimmer from a low head.

Joe posted a really wonderful quote from Jeff West (comment #3) and it really is true a kayak is part of you and that part of you connects you to the river directly. Still my experience on the river is not about me for me it is about sharing and it's hard to fit more than one in a kayak.
GoAnywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #95
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
To each his own

What does it matter what anyone paddles. As long as they practice safety, river etiquitte and environmental awareness. Two brothers floated the Grand with drybags only and wet suits. I welcome new technology and I welcome newcomers to rivers provided they practice a good ethic and safety. We were all rookies to rivers at one time, and no one has a right to judge river runners who respect the rivers and each other. Elitists with a chip take away from what this forum is all about as far as I'm concerned. So float on and help protect our rivers, respect and help each other. So you guys at CC, more power to you and keep the technology coming.
jhintonharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013   #96
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
LEAVENWORTH — A man thought to be in his 50s died Saturday after flipping his single-person raft on a rough stretch of the Wenatchee River, about a half-mile upstream of The Alps candy store, near Leavenworth. John Wisemore, Chelan County undersheriff, said the man was riding the river in a “Creature Craft” — a rugged inflatable raft designed to right itself when it flips over. He was not traveling with a tour group. When it flipped, the victim apparently became unseated and couldn’t stay with the raft when it flipped back up, Wisemore said. The incident was reported just after 4 p.m. Other rafters on the river, spotted the man, who was wearing both a helmet and life jacket. He was in the water about eight minutes, Wisemore said. They performed CPR on the man, as did a Chelan County sheriff’s deputy and emergency crews. The man was transported to Cascade Medical Center in Leavenworth, where he died, Wisemore said. The sheriff’s office is not releasing the man’s name or further information pending notification of next of kin. Christine Pratt: 665-1173
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #97
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
My prayers go out to his family and friends. Rest in peace, fellow boater.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #98
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Reading all the opinions on this thread takes me back to when I first started rafting in the late 60's.

Georgie White was ridiculed for her "rapid transit" sausage yachts in the Grand Canyon, dragging hordes of people through with her motorized cities.

In the mid 70's John Baker made what I believe was the first cataraft using banana tubes and ran it through the Royal Gorge. This bitch who shall remain unnamed was poking fun at us when we came out; her husband/boyfriend/whatever was an outfitter on the Arkansas and she had an opinion on everyone and everything but curiously, I never actually saw her on the river. It was her opinion that the rig was dangerous cause, you know, you could fall right through the thing, and it ought to be outlawed and anyway it would give rafting a bad name.
I ran that rig on Deso and on the lower Gore and on the Dolores. I was impressed with it's handling and the sheer volume of shit it could haul. If I hadn't gotten married/kids/responsibilities I'd probably still be running catarafts.

I remember when I saw my first shade cover on a raft. What pussies are these I asked myself; the hell are you out here for if not to get blistered? Ditto for closed cell PFD's VS Mae Wests, and cam straps instead of nylon rope, and tube frames VS wood frames. And Carlisle oars?? Jesus in a pop can, what obscenity will we find imposed on us next!

The point is, the rafting/kayaking crowd is highly opinionated and all full of itself. New innovations in equipment and technique always spark debate and that's a good thing. That a percentage of the community expresses it's all important opinions with insult and offensive behavior is unfortunate.

I'd try a CC, but don't think I'd want to own one. Course, that opinion is subject to change after my ride. Keep on keeping on, time will tell if you have the next great thing in rafting.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #99
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Nice thoughts schutzie, thanks
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #100
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
"Jesus in a pop can, what obscenity will we find imposed on us next?"

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote