Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 07-19-2014   #51
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

A bunch of recent Deso threads are now all combined into this one. Here's yer one-stop Deso Q&A place. Please bear (yuk, yuk) this in mind when reading the thread.

have fun!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014   #52
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
All the posts has anyone had one in camp or cause a problem?
Ours came into Camp at Wire Fence but was easily scared off (with 30 minutes of antagonism on our part). Ranger's had an encounter with bear in this camp a couple days before us. Same results.

Friend at Mushroom Rock had it come into camp and sniff him in his tent. Scared it away from tent but stayed closer than wanted so he packed up (way) early in the morning and floated down river a bit. Wasn't an aggressive bear but he was being cautious as a solo floater.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014   #53
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a permit for September 10th. Wondering if the bears will still be loading up on berries for the hibernation, or will have already moved on by that point? Planning to bring bear spray and air horns regardless...had a friend attacked a few years back though so I am a little concerned. Thanks.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014   #54
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
We raft a lot on the Rogue and find electric bear fences work very well. Most of the camps on the Rogue have electric exclosure fences. We also have a very portable set we put around our boats. We stick the rods in our frames and put it around our boats. It has been very effective, we camp frequently in bear country so definitely worth the cost. The BLM should set up some exclosures they can contact the BLM on the Rogue for more information. You can purchase on line or visit your local Grange or farm store. Worked very well on the Tat in Alaska as well. Rogue loans out a set for rafters.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014   #55
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I have a permit for September 10th. Wondering if the bears will still be loading up on berries for the hibernation, or will have already moved on by that point? Planning to bring bear spray and air horns regardless...had a friend attacked a few years back though so I am a little concerned. Thanks.
Can't think of any native berries that would still be going crazy that late but maybe someone else will more localized experience will know better. I doubt they are hibernating that early as the nighttime temps are still rather moderate; I would expect they enter their unique form of hibernation in that region sometime in mid to late October (I still saw a bear at low elevation in the High Uintas last October while thru-hiking the high line trail at 10k-ish).

My guess is you won't have many negative encounters with bears unless they get fed this summer. Thus far there are no reports of that happening but that could be incomplete and there is still some summer left. I would keep an eye here and then call the Price district and ask about recent reports as time launch approaches. From what I understand the bears that have been reported to interact with humans in Deso were either previously fed by careless campers or attracted to food or scented items in the tents (rumor is the OB trip attack years ago was from a guy who had food product in his dreads).

I am a little less concerned about bears but totally understand going prepared differently considered the experience of your friend. I hope its nothing but a pleasant float. Would love to hear a TR when you get back as we are going as a one boat anniversary trip in October and we have never been in the autumn.

Take Care.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #56
Lander, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2003
On July 11, 2014 a black bear approached our party while having lunch in the cottonwoods about a mile below the Price river confluence. He was a dark male and weighed about 250 pounds. We had to throw rocks at him before he would leave. Don't forget the bear spray.
NathanMaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #57
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1989
2 Bears

Just took off last night. Camped at Jack Creek, Log Cabin and below Wire Fence Rapid. Sitting in camp below wire fence (after swimming it multiple times with our kids) and someone spotted the bear right above the rapid on river left. We thought he was just getting a drink, then he started swimming and went down wire fence. We figured with the current he would end up right in front of us before he got out, so we started banging on pots and pans and he visibly started swimming faster. Got out just above us and started running into the bushes. Next day we saw another bear (wasn't the same bear), 1 mile below Wire Fence on river right.

We talked to Western who said that they stayed the same place the night before and had an aggressive teenage bear that wouldn't go away. They had to spray with pepper spray and take shifts to stay up all night.
TUNACAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014   #58
Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
No bears, some skeeters, biting flys.

Just got off Deso Thursday morning with Kris M.
Put in Sunday Morning with some skeeters. A little bug spray solved that, did bring a bug hood just in case.
No bear sightings but lots of tracks mostly small, one set was fairly large. We scouted each campsite for berries, scat and tracks. Felt the less of each reduced the likely hood of a bruin visit.
The biting flies were minor but ganged up on the last day of the float starting at Rattlesnake. I can only assume that they must have morphed and acquired a taste for Cutters repellant.
PoppyOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014   #59
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 2014
Biting flies were nasty a few weekends back on the green river daily!!! Put in deso the 17th August I hope the berries have dried up and bears have moved on if not oh well always brings excitement to a camp at night!!
MOJO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014   #60
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Late June. Sow and cub river left camp below Joe Hutch. We were camped river right (standard camp). Both camp sites were in full bacon cookin mode.

The commercial trip (left camp) had to scare them off pretty good, right in camp (pots,pans, paco pad slamming). The bears proceeded up the cliff that overlooks the rapid (left)....was scary to watch.

The cub was about 10 feet from the top ledge when it was just gripping on for its life...they retreated and found another route. Lucky our little kids didn't have to watch the cub swim Joe Hutch

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote