Old 04-11-2012   #1
Ashland, Oregon
15' or 16' raft for a family of 4?

Looking to set up the family for the years to come and wondering if I am better off with a 15' or 16' raft....all comments welcome.....also have a 13' boat that is ailing but still runs great.....both wife and I row...also interested in any feedback on setting up the rigging on these boats...

Oregon595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
my rule of thumb would be get the smallest boat that meets your needs. reasons would be to save money, space, make transportation and maneuvering easier and deal with our diminishing flows.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #3
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
The new Aire 160 Double D looks nice.

I'm a big fan of ALL double D's,personally...
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #4
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
My buddy runs a 14 nrs, wife 2 kids, 2 dogs and the occasional freinds of kids and all the gear you can shake an oar at.
Me I have an aire 156r 2 dogs and a girlfreind, with the gear and gear of 2 others riding along
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #5
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
For a family of four I would think a 15' 6" would work nicely. A four bay frame with a drybox or cooler to sit on for the rower, rowing compartment with captains boxes, a drybox or cooler in front of that, and a drop bag with a table and pad for your family to sit on with their feet in the bow. I use a clamshell bag in the stern to secure dry bags and misc gear. Your front drop bag can hold rocket boxes and/or water containers. I also strap a Mississippi duffle on the cooler in front of me with tents and sleeping gear. This also provides back support for my passengers. I have a 14' raft that has all this for 3 of us, and it's comfortable for week long trips, so 15' 6" should work great. You can click on 'images' under my user name to get visual of this type of setup.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
If you do short trips you can get away with small. If you do long trips or love your creature comforts then go larger. I have 16 foot cat and have done everything from one person in boat 21 days on the grand trip to 4 days 5 people on the Green. I am a very comfort driven rafter, lots of good food and hot showers are some of my priorities. I usually have 2 in boat and carry a large portion of the group gear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #7
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I agree with wildh2onriver - 15' to 15'6" should work great with a 4 bay frame. If you can mend your "ailing but serviceable" 13 ft. raft for your wife to row as well, then even better. With those two boats you would have your family set up for lots of fun for years to come. I say, don't skimp & regret it later on.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #8
Golden, Colorado
I have a 16' for a family of four and love it. I wouldn't want to go smaller. I like the big tubes in front. Makes a big playpen for my 3 and 5 year olds. We can take another passenger or two along as well on day trips. Allows for four equal size bays so I can play around with different configurations. A friend has a 15'6 Aire which seems to be comparable in size to my 16' NRS.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #9
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by BarryDingle View Post
The new Aire 160 Double D looks nice.

I'm a big fan of ALL double D's,personally...
Are you sure you didn't start the GC Kate Upton thread???
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #10
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I asked a similar question a while back. Went with a 16' NRS it goes everywhere I go just fine. Last years water and the boat was great no low flow issues. You have the 13' for low water. Not sure what types of trips you do most multidays runs I do are in the lower basins and there is enough water to float a 16' fine at low water. I see 16's on mountain runs at low water too. Search boat size or 16' raft etc., there is a lot about this on the buzz. My next addition will be a 13'. Go with the four bay frame. I have friends with a 15' and this is fine too. I'm glad I went with the 16' and not a 15'.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote