Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 02-26-2016   #1
Pendleton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
13'Tributary VS 12' Tributary Handling Difference SHOOTOUT

Having a rough time deciding which boat would work best for my scenario.

13' Trib. Specs: 13'3" X 6'6" and with 19" tubes

12' Trib. Specs: 12'4" X 6'1" and with 18" tubes

I would like to use this boat with frame setup and possibly paddle every now and then. Probably frame it 60% and paddle it 40%

Needs to maneuver well in technical bony rapids...a must. Skinny slots too. Still have a little room to handle a light load though. Of course I would use a compact outfitter NRS frame for best use of space.

Would I see that much handling difference between the these two models with the above conditions in mind??? 11 Inches less on length and 5 inches less on width if I go with the Trib. 12'.

Of course those with same model experience would be best for reply...but at this point, I'll take any educated recommendations. (Wish I had a picture of the two side by side)

Thanks for the help!

crossfox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016   #2
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I had a 12' trib and now have a 14'. Love the 14' for its size and capacity. Have rowed it on the Poudre at med-low flows and it handles well, we ve with 10' oars. The 12' was a real sports car comparably but still did well in big water. We took it on the Ark at 3500 and it did well. It had a fairly decent capacity...I have a tendency to overload...but did 3 people 4 nights on Green b and c and two of us for a week on Main Salmon.

It handled low water Westwater well also. Both have the ballast floor which I like for stability. If you want a great low budget frame, call Gary Frome at raftframe.com.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016   #3
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
If you are talking like some real low water Owyhee, coming off the top on the MF Salmon below 1.5' stuff like that, the 12' would be a sweet 1 person multiday rig, or a super puma if you are looking at aire craft. I think the 13' would also be sweet for the same too
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016   #4
Meridian, Idaho
I have a 13 with a custom frame and 10' Cataracts. Hauls a fairly decent load, rows like a dream but is a little wide for the real tight stuff. Lots of kick so it pivots almost effortlessly but doesnt track as well as my 156d. The floor rides pretty high so you are pretty limited for depth of cooler and dry box. All the kick also limits frame length. I made a custom dry box that only sits 12" below the frame. Inside dimensions are large for a smaller raft. A medium everything bag fits perfect. I step down to 9' oars in the skinny stuff. I had it as my only raft for 2 seasons and it did everything I needed it to. Paddles 4 and a captain perfectly.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote