Old 02-11-2014   #21
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2012
SO many choices, thanks for all the suggestions. That fat boy looks outstanding.

Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #22
West Copper, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Great post Ron ! Keep up the good work down in Salida !

Chuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #23
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Ron had us make a 11.5 ft raft that was 6 inches wider than standard. It looks a lot like the one in the picture above. I have these specs if anyone is interested.

Compare that to the fat boy raft that is 10 ft long and 65 in in width

Both of these are available (given time to get them there) at River Boat Works in Salida.

These are computer generated models, the wild colors are to help us identify the different sections and talk about design modifications with out customers.
jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #24
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The Jack's Fat Boy shown in blog #20 is my 10.5' that I had Jack redesign from his 10' design.

It is my low water fishing boat that I use on low water Gunny gorge trips (as low as 295 cfs) and Browns Canyon (250). I take the front thigh brace off (with two pins) and use it for my technical low white water boat. Had great runs down the Numbers and Royal Gorge on the Arkansas in low water, and the Salt at 900 cfs.

Another great thing about Jack's products is he can custom design anything. You want to change anything, length, width, size of tubes, diminishing tubes: just ask and you get it. Plus if that's not enough, they are the most durable PVC boat made and in America no less!

I really love my Fat Boy!
Riverboat Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #25
Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
Hello new member long time lurker. I see there is another question by another member down the page and I did not want to hijack.

Looking for a 1 person framed boat for day floats on the Deschutes, Klickitat, and possibly the Sandy. The boat would be used for transportation only (fishing once I stop), I am more concerned with stability versus fun, and I do not need to take much gear.

I had a Watermaster Kodiak and while I liked it, I definitely want a framed 1 person boat, open to suggestions.

Currently the top of my list is the Hyside MiniMe with a frame from riverboatworks.

This boat would do you great - he just dropped the price from $2K...I bet he'd take less:
middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #26
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Now that is opening the old raft vs. cat can-o-worms! Cruel!
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #27
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
What is so cool is everybody loves the boat they have; whether it is a raft, cat, PVC, hypalon. urathane, import, USA made. If you have a good boat that you like and are on the water that's all that counts. It is such a great sport, fishing, white water, rowing, paddling. It's all the same fun, the same escape from the concrete jungle. There is no one boat that is more fun than another. They are all equally great and all boaters are lucky to have this same passion.

For Dave S whatever kind or brand of boat he gets he is going to have a lot of fun. For Dave S my advice is choose any good small light boat, raft, cataraft, or whatever and join this great river community. Be safe, have fun and catch a whole bunch of fish.

Good luck and have fun choosing your new toy.

Riverboat Works is offline   Reply With Quote