Old 02-09-2014   #11
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
You might want to take a look at Outcast fishing catarafts. If you really will be alone with not much gear, this might be a good way to go. Outcast tubes are made by Aire, so they are quality. Their frames are nice and have a decent sized stern gear deck. I still have my 10 ft. Outcast cataraft that got me into river running 17 years ago. I've run class II - III with it many times.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Down River is no longer making rafts and they are putting all remaining stock on sale... I just picked up one of these and he said they have one more in green.

Adventure 095 - Featured

mcfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #13
C. Springs, Colorado
I'd go with a Mini Mee if you don't want riders. Light enough to haul around by yourself and do what your looking to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deso Gray 048.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	7665  
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #14
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
We sell small catarafts for 1 or 2 people so you may want to check them out. This page gives many different configurations and tube sizes so you can customize it to make it work for you. Oar size recomendations are also included.
jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #15
Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1978
I have an Air Puma that I have row. New frame should arrive today. Just under 12', narrower than Super Puma. Have taken it down III+. Big enough for 2, about 90lb.
TimEubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #16
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I have been paddling/oaring a mini me for a few years and it is a super stable boat. There have been many times (meat of Skull Rapid, Slaughterhouse) where I thought for sure I was gonna be swimming only to make it through unscathed. For the size of boat, the mini-me is super stable!

Comfortable to R-2 - R-3, row by yourself and fish off of, or row with a passenger with gear for an overnight (backpacker style) it is a great boat.

Hey look there's one for sale in the Swap!
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #17
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Hey, Dave S., if you've been lurking, you probably know JPW has a good reputation. I think those cutthroats look like fun. In that option, for your immediate purpose, I think the 12' long tubes should be more than adequate. You might want the wide frame or maybe a bit wider tubes given your desire for stability, like I said I don't know your rivers (or your river reading or comfort level).
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #18
West Copper, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Don't overlook the Tributary 9.5 rafts made by Aire. Well made little boats. Thought I would cast a vote, since they haven't been mentioned yet.
Chuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #19
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
rocky mountain has a 10.5 comming out in april.. might be an option for you..
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #20
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Dave S,

You are going to have a lot of fun no matter which of these boats you choose.

I love this Buzz forum. Itís so great that everybody loves and recommends the boat they have. That means there are no bad choices (unless you buy from a box store or mail order something only because of low price with no regard for quality.) This Buzz forum will alert you of those donít-do-it deals.

Stability on all these small narrow boats is basically the same. Go through big waves straight, no problem; go through sideways and be ready to swim. The good news and fun part is: anything this narrow and easy to flip is just as easy to flip back over, and better yet, itís ultimately very maneuverable and easy to get back straight.

Here is my two cents worth, since I have rowed and paddled all of these boats:

Hyside: They have a long history of making one of the best, lightest, most durable, long-lasting hypalon boats on the market. Mini Me vs. Mini Maxi: Both are a total hoot to row or paddle. Both are the lightest of all these choices. Personally, I would always choose the Mini Maxi, because the extra 1.5í helps it track and stay on line. Plus, the extra room provides so many more options (i.e. paddling up to R-4, over nights, rowing with a passenger, etc.) Itís much more resalable.

Aire Trib 9.5: This is a great little boat. You can never go wrong buying an Aire product. The Trib is imported, and in my opinion, doesnít have quite the same durable fabric, and it doesnít have the great Aire 10-year unlimited warranty that the American-made Puma has. I would choose the Puma.

Rocky Mountain Raft 10.5í: This is a great low price point imported boat. Extremely durable for the price, itís also the heaviest of all of these choices. I own a 12í and have rowed it for three years and havenít found anything I donít like about it.

Jackís: All I can say is that you canít beat the durability of any of his American-made products. I love his Cutthroat Cat, and just happen to have a slightly used (mostly by me) Demo for sale at a ridiculously low price. I think it is still listed on the Buzzís classifieds. If not, then call us and we will get it re-listed.

Since I just turned this into an ad, I will end by pitching: We have been really busy this winter, building frames that will fit all of these small boats. If you donít like this one, we will custom build the one you want. No Problem.

Cheers to all and keep the snow dance going. Last check, we had 115Ē in the last 12 days at Monarch. Please come at noon, so we get the first tracks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fat Boy 4.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	7667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fat Boy 1.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	7668  

Riverboat Works is offline   Reply With Quote