Old 06-23-2016   #11
Taos, New Mexico
I bought one because I wanted to, and I'm happy with it. Held ice for three days on the San Juan last week, and still had CCBs after days on the river and driving 7 hrs. home in the blazing hot sun. It was a "satellite" cooler, being refilled daily with drinks and snacks - but not ice - for my little girl and all the adult beverages the kayaks/small boats on the trip without room for their own cooler couldn't carry. That may or may not be worth the $ to someone else.

h20shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #12
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Not wanting to spend much more than $100, I am leaning heavily towards the Gott 150.

150 Qt Gottâ„¢ Marine Cooler | Rubbermaid

Anyone have experience with this one to share?

SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #13
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by SKeen View Post
Not wanting to spend much more than $100, I am leaning heavily towards the Gott 150.

150 Qt Gottâ„¢ Marine Cooler | Rubbermaid

Anyone have experience with this one to share?
I've got one, had it for 3 seasons. Works great. I also have an older Yeti 100. Ice retention (pound for pound) is much better in the Yeti, but the Gott with it's slide in containers holds about 4-5 gallons of Ice. I can load up the center "bay" with crushed ice and will have cocktail ice for 4-5 days. It'll stay effectively cool for 6 to 7 days if fairly managed. That's with the frozen containers, two other half gallon containers, and 3 or so bags of crushed. With that ice load it performs similarly to the yeti with half as much ice (6 -1/2 gal jugs and 2 bags crushed)- in short the extra 50 qts of capacity mostly goes to ice to even the performance out. With that said, ithe Gott sits better in the boat and is easier to organize with the dividers, so I use the it a lot more than the Yeti.

I think the thing that gets over looked in these discussions is that rotomolded coolers perform as well as "traditional" coolers with less ice. But for the price the Gott 150 works very well, I'm glad I have it for sure.

Next for me is 50-70 qt roto cooler to keep in my truck for lunch and such at work and on weekends. First good deal when I have spare cash will get swept up.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #14
Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by Ezcruzr View Post
Well then, you paid ten dollars more for your cooler than I did.
Was this a taxpayer cooler?
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.
hand8272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #15
Paddling Since: 2008
Canyon Cooler Outfitter 22

I love this cooler. Way bigger than it looks and holds ice like mad.
OCFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #16
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Canyon has some new backpack soft coolers that look really nice and the price is palatable. Currently out of stock but am on list for when the big one becomes available.

We used 80 dollar 150 qt walmart coolers on recent Deso trip and lined the interior with 2 layers of double bubble (HVAC bubble wrap) and we had ice on day 5 with very little cooler discipline.
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #17
Alpine, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2010
Met Expectations

I've been living in the proximity of a Yeti Hopper 20 for the past 3.5 weeks, from 8 days on the the Deso-Gray Canyons, to day trips on local rivers, to trailer camping in a driveway and on BLM lands, and finally to multiple days in a hotel room between day trips fishing. The cooler has held up very well for a day cooler. It has kept beers cool for 3 days at a time on limited ice in varied conditions. The owner of said YETI tells me he achieved 5 days of cold beer after five days in household conditions. Well done Yeti
Buddha09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #18
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I got me one of them new yetis, it done holds I've for like an whole hour in the right conditions!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1469019538.023467.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	11989
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #19
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I no 1 thing fur suur. Ifin my kooler leeks water in my boat. Ile throw it n the river. Nuttin pisses me off mure than a kooler leekn water in my boat. I mean if I wanted my boat to get wet I would put in in the water.

I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote