Old 08-19-2015   #1
cedar city, Utah
Wildfire Deaths

Sadly as the season goes along we continue to see more fires and more deaths. Wildfires are popping up along many of our western rivers jeopardizing lives, historic properties and thousands of acres of land. Be safe out there in what is shaping into one of the worst wildfire seasons in our lives. To put it into perspective there are currently 29,000 personnel fighting a total of 96 uncontained, large fires across the West. Sad to here that three more individuals were confirmed just today:

Three Firefighters in Washington

Lake Tahoe Fire Kills One & Another Hospitalized

California Fire Fatality

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #2
cedar city, Utah
Here is a broad map of the fires and smoke patterns affecting our region:

Old 08-20-2015   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It was pretty hazy as far east as the Upper Arkansas yesterday....
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #4
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hazy as a mofo last few days in the RFV, was wondering if it was coming all the way from Cali....
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #5
Steamboat, Colorado
Pretty hazy up here too... I actually had a brief moment this morning in which I thought it was fog...

I know there's been several small fires in Moffat County, I think on Monday or Tuesday they said there were 20 started by the lightning storm the night before, 17 of them were contained... Meeker area there's one in the 100 acre range.
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #6
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2010
Very sad stuff. Those guys and girls are braver than I could ever hope to be.

Smoke's gotten pretty awful up here. Mission Valley before and after.

BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #7
cedar city, Utah
The Twisp Fire that killed three people this week is part of a larger complex that quadrupled in size in less than 24 hours. That is a massive leap and it has become obvious these newer fires popping up are sadly understaffed, and not from a lack of agency requests. According to a recent Senate hearing there has been just less than a 20% reduction in the number of wild land fire personnel in the last 4 years. The US is now calling in reserves and even international help because of the sheer numbers of fires burning across the west.

Lets hope the predicted El Nino brings in rain and not anymore dry lightening storms that seem to be doing the bulk of the damage/starts rights now. We definitely don't need anymore wind at this time. Sadly, the predictions are for at least another month of above average fire conditions for the areas most affected this season:

Old 08-20-2015   #8
cedar city, Utah
Currently about 1.4 million acres are actively burning. So far this year 7.2 million acres have burned; this is almost double the ten year annual average record up to this yearly date The fact that this many acres have burned so early is frightening for the rest of the season.

Hoping for the best for all of the people in Cali and the PNW.

Old 08-20-2015   #9
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Oddly enough in Oregon we have had 2 major fires that were human caused. Don't take that wrong, many more have been lightning caused, I watch the wildfire season very closely. The Stouts fire was caused by a lawn mower illegally mowing. The County line 2 fire was small utility trailer that lost a wheel and was dragged several miles before it stopped. It started seven spot fires that joined together and is now a 60,000 acre fire. (Very similar to a fire on the Payette 20 or so years ago) Close to my house in the coast range a fire started from what must be a human cause near Willamina. It is not very large. Even our local volunteer departments are out working these large fires across Oregon. The Willamina fire took more of our limited resources and our chief was having a hard time getting move-up support. We had a group of our volunteers working one of our worst fires just south of John Day. Scary shit to say the least.
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015   #10
Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Fighting fires is about like the war on drugs...a waste of time, money, and resources.

Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote