Old 08-08-2015   #1
canmore, alberta, canada
Paddling Since: 1990
Why so many main Salmon cancellations?

I applied for a main fork permit this year but didn't get it. Our group (experienced rafters, family trip) decided to do the lower Salmon instead since we had heard great things.

Launch date is Aug 17. Now I see that there are lots of Main Salmon permits available.....

Any ideas why so many are cancelling? I see that the flow is low (1200). Is this the only reason? Wildfires in area?

What would we expect at this low flow? Bump and grind in some spots or are we getting struck all the time? 16 foot nrs E-160. Loaded but not overloaded (the rafts that is...)

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

flat_side_down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015   #2
cedar city, Utah
That is interesting and I am not sure why so many popped up the last month of the high-use lottery season. Really wanted to comment to add that you need to double that flow as both the MF and the Main are flowing at 1,200 cfs near Shoup so you will see between 2,400 to 4,200 cfs between the launch and takeout.

Edit: There was a fire by China Bar but it has not produced smoke since the end of July.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015   #3
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
we just took off the main on Thursday morning. the flow is low, but everything is runable, no fire activity on the river. the yellow jackets aren't too bad, but I did get stung 3 times.
the last couple of days on the river are really slow, and an afternoon wind picked up to make rowing a bit of work, but if you leave camp early enough in the morning it shouldn't be a problem. was a great trip.
"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015   #4
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
There are always cancellations. It's nothing new. People apply and get a permit, then they can't get time off or get their group together. Cancellations are the way my friends and I have been running the Main Salmon every summer for the last 12 years. I don't think there's anything unusual going on this summer, other than a low water year that may be scaring off people who are not familiar with the Main Salmon. It's never too low. We'll be on it in mid September.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote