Old 10-24-2014   #11
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Everyone out there boats easy water from time to time, its just not as much fun to talk about on the internet...

I started using this site after friends pulled a body from the river and wanted share information about the accident and individual:

Another possible fatality on the Arkansas

and I was so impressed by the response by the majority of the community that undecided to stick around.

These days I would say I met 3/4 of my paddling partners on this site and a few of them have become very close, life long friends. That's why I use this forum.

I paddle because it makes me happy. I find a certain level of personal peace and satisfaction from being on the water that I can't seem to find elsewhere in my life.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014   #12
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 98
I love you guys that's why I use mountainbuzz. You all grew on me and helped the process. Can't say it enough love you guys! Meet some sweet folks through this place.

I like to boat gnar bar but sometimes the not so gnar.. Mostly gnar guess I'm a snot I don't really care as long as fun is being had.

Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014   #13
Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Why I raft - I have one of the most improbable entries into rafting, but it awakened a long dormant side of my personality. To me, there is nothing quite like the feeling of being one the river, down in the canyons exploring. It puts things into perspective. I met my wife on the river, and I'm sure if we had met anyplace other than the river we never would have connected. Being down in the canyons for days at a time can erase who & what you think you are and allows your true self to come through (of course sometimes this is not always pretty).

I'm on this site for the same reason. Yes, there are some insufferable egos and opinions here, but there are also some very helpful ideas and great personalities. That, and I am always thinking about the river….
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014   #14
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I kayak because it gets me outside and gets me to places only a handful of people have ever experienced because it is only accessible via river. It is also amazing because the sense of self achievement at the bottom of a drop or rapid is like nothing else. Kayaking is like nothing else.
I use this site cause its as close as I can get to kayaking while in school haha!
Colorado // Kayaking // Skiing // Film
Caleb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #15
Louisville, Colorado
Why do I boat? Cuz' it makes me smile. I like the thrill of running the rapid, the celebration afterwords, and chilling in the flat water and at camp outside with friends. Plus it is great family time. People who are only into it to for the thrill are missing out. My penchant for thrill has waned as I age.

Why buzz? To learn from others and meet people with similar interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #16
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
'Cause I'm a water dog.

...Why is almost every robust healthy boy with a robust healthy soul in him, at some time or other crazy to go to sea? Why upon your first voyage as a passenger, did you yourself feel such a mystical vibration, when first told that you and your ship were now out of sight of land? Why did the old Persians hold the sea holy? Why did the Greeks give it a separate deity, and own brother of Jove? Surely all this is not without meaning. And still deeper the meaning of that story of Narcissus, who because he could not grasp the tormenting, mild image he saw in the fountain, plunged into it and was drowned. But that same image, we ourselves see in all rivers and oceans. It is the image of the ungraspable phantom of life; and this is the key to it all.

Herman Melville, Moby Dick
I think that wherever I lived, I'd have a boat of some kind. I spent the better part of a summer on Cape Cod for a project once, and reconnected with an old ski bum buddy living in Woods Hole who was working building beautiful wooden sailboats and refurbishing his own fixer-upper. He'd loan me his dory to row around in the harbor after work and got me into the water rat community while I was there. I felt right at home just like I do sitting around camp with a bunch of folks I've known for years, or the folks I've just connected with for a random last-minute trip on MB.

And ditto what Bri said:
Why buzz? To learn from others and meet people with similar interests.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014   #17
cedar city, Utah
Why the Buzz...not much of a boating community where I live so it gives me a chance to relate and learn in a way that is lacking in my life most of the year. Finally meeting some new boaters and enjoying the new friendships.

Rafting...sold a cross bike and bought a JPW Cutthroat on a whim while living in Moab. Life has never been the same. A friend showed me some basics on the oars and I started exploring solo for a while. Found some other oars people in Cedar and have been on the water more than I ever would have imagined. Love the pace and lifestyle of floating down rivers for multiple days. Nothing seems to compare...well, long distance backpacking but I can't disappear for months at a time anymore.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014   #18
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The reason I raft and why I use the Buzz are the same: to share experiences and learn from like-minded people everything from etiquette to safety, to ingenuity to fun! My ever-expanding circle of river friends have shared in the best times of my life and always get me excited for the next time I can get on the water.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014   #19
Mesa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I boat entirely for family time and making memories. I have become the ultimate family rafter now that we have five kids. I read the Buzz to live vicariously through others experiences and to dream about the gnarly big water rapids I may never get to do. Thanks for posting the go pro yo.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
snakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014   #20
ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
At the root of this thread is my distaste for complaints about what this site used to be and how if you're not running huge water you're a waste of time. There's so much ego on this site it's depressing. Don't get me wrong I still post here because there are some great folks here and I've learned a ton, but sometimes I think the shit talkers are 12 yo pimple face punks sitting in their basement. Gotta be the gnar, nothing's just a lame perspective in my opinion. So I guess I was looking for a place to vent or validation...
HAHAHA! What a great image! Thanks for that. So anonymity on the internet has a tendency to bring out the worst in people... add that to the already over inflated ego of your stander boater personality & voila! Yeah... the buzz can be a pretty vile place... but it can also be very informative, as well as highly entertaining! I have learned to not take anything personally on here...

As far as why we use it, yup, as was already said... good place to glean information, & we are all obsessive... we think about boating ALL THE TIME...

I mean, I met my husband on the Buzz... (Really. Be careful what you buy from the swap page!) So good things do come from the buzz!

Why do we boat? I can't not. The River calls me, pulls at my heart, my soul... Flows in my veins... is, always has been, always will be, an integral part of me... who I am, what I Love... I can't help it, the River IS a part of me. I don't care if I'm on flat water, gnar water, big water, low water... as long as I'm on the water.

I tried looking deeper into what makes boaters tick once, & I wrote this article about it. Then I discover a fascinating new piece of information... and wrote this addendum. Not sure if they answer any questions at all, but I'll take the slim bit of justification I found there.

Journeys of a River Mamma Blog "Ever onward, ever forward, ever down the River!"- Ed Abbey
RiverMamma is offline   Reply With Quote