Mountain Buzz banner

Which boat for MFS?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  dirtbagkayaker 
#1 ·
So I'm going on June 4th MFS trip, Right now looks like I'm the only Kayak- 5 rafts/cats on the trip. Likely to be fairly high water, and I'm looking for thoughts on which boat to take. Choices are Pyranha Varun (river runner/playboat), or Jackson Super Hero. Sounds like there is lots of good surf on the Middle Fork, but as a solo kayaker, I'm wondering how much opportunity I'll have to play. Chances are the rafts are not going to be into waiting while I surf. So most play opportunity will come down to odds of a good feature near camp or lunch spot. Any recommendations for camps with good play?

Other option is take the bigger boat- will still surf a bit, and is certainly more forgiving and better for chasing swimmers or gear. Its probably a touch more comfortable, but at high water we wont be on the river for super long days, so I'm not sure how much that matters.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Launching on June 8th, 3rd trip down. First two were lower water, 4 feet and dropping so my direct knowledge doesnt apply. But based on the current snowpack and high water stories I have heard I am taking the big boat no doubt.

I do not think either of our trips can depend on boundary being open the first week in June so add in Marsh creek and it makes the choice even more clear. We are going to be 2 kayaks and I think 5 or 6 raft/cats and I am sure we will be out front of the rafts most of the time with out a lot of play opportunity.

#4 ·
Marsh creek is out for our group, so if we cant get in to boundary, we'll revert to plan B and go float something else. Our group has also decided against launching if its over 6', so that may play into my plan as well- high, but not huge. I wish I had something in between- I think something like a Zen would be great, but no new boats for me this year, we spent a bunch getting the raft dialed this spring.

#3 ·
Take a boat you are comfortable in for hours at a time. Play boat is fine if it meets that description. If you lime to bury your stern into waves at all, leave the creeker at home. Best grins of my river career were dropping my stern into to big MF waves at 6'

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#5 ·
I'm launching June 17, one of only two kayaks on a raft supported trip. I'm planning to take my LL Remix 69 as opposed to my Stomper 80 or Freeride 57. I'm hoping for some decent water and the Remix is more comfortable than either of the others.

#9 ·
"Also of serious concern to anyone contemplating which kayak is the very real chance of needing to tow someone or help bulldoze a raft into an eddy."

This is my big concern- in big pushy water, I'm less confident in having a swimmer holding on the back of the playboat. Chasing a pushing gear probably much better in the big boat. I'm also leaning towards a fairly low likely hood of water being under our limit. We're planning on going, but keeping a b plan in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#10 ·
Imho, if ur going 2 b prime safty boater u need a different boat. Super hero is going to get pushed around way more than vuran and vuran ain't much of a resue boat. Between the 2 hero.

What do you mean "uder your limit" if mfs is low. There won't be any " pushy" water.

#13 ·
I hear ya. For what its worth, I have pulled a few rafts and people to shore in my time. I would never push a raft to an eddy with my kayak again! I've made that mistake too many times. I ended up in holes and off line more often than not. plus there is no winning against a 16' round boat with 5 days of gear.

People are teachable. Just let them know that the can hold to the grab loop and kick like they need to win the Olympics. And they need to let go when I tell them to do so and remind them that I'll get right back asap!

For big round boats I now attach my big throw bag to my rescue tether and binger the rope end to a D ring on the raft and paddle like hell to shore and swing the boat like a pendulum to shore from my feet on shore. I only got 75' of rope so timing is everything. You just need to plan a head and find a good spot down stream to pull it off. For me its way quicker to get the raft to shore this. Keep in mind that the rope from your throw bag is coming out as your paddling you ass off and you may need to pull the harness at any moment if the rope hangs.

I think you can get a round to shore with your vuran and knife the big shit. That's how I'd roll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.