Old 04-08-2015   #41
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Did it 2 years ago in march @ 1800, did it again in may that year at just below 13000. It was oawesome to see that river change.
Last year I ran it 7 times and it was never the same river twice, matter of fact it has never been the same river twice since I started running it

Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #42
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Originally Posted by BmfnL View Post
Last Chance at 8-11k is the best rapid in Westwater. Nothing beats going dead center over that chocolate dome.

I'm on board with that (unless I'm overboard). But for pure flipping satisfaction, I'd argue that Sock it to Me has more victims. Followed by Skull. It's pretty easy to cheat Last Chance. For the less familiar, the other two are victimizers. The timing move on Skull and the lateral wave at sitm can be entertaining...

I spent about 2 hours helping a friend get out of the room of doom at 11k by power oaring his 18' cat. I had to hike back up and over to him in the room, jump on his boat, fight through the wood pile and bloated animals, to finally get enough steam to break the eddy...enough to finally hit the rock of shock. After high siding for what seemed like an eternity, we got through right side up. That was one of the most exhausting days I've had on the river, it was really intense because we almost flipped at least a dozen times, only to repeat...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #43
irvine, California
Westwater crystal ball

I spent about an hour waiting for my 15 year old son and his friend while they were re-flipping his cut-throat II at the magnetic wall on the left below sock it to me at 10k. I was concerned. Very concerned.

Both of us applied rule number 3--do not tell his mother...great memories.

She still divorced me...

Old 04-09-2015   #44
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Well 2 years ago at 10,200cfs I went in to Funnel Falls completely wrong, new I was f'ed up for ever before it rolled me upside down. We swam 1/2 way to Skull, didn't get the boat flipped back over until below Sock It To Me. The boys that were with me were not happy... I wasn't either. But hey, the cooler stayed in the frame and we salvage lunch out of it.

First time back on Westwater after that flip was last year at 19,000... needless to say I was nervous. 2nd only to my first time down Westwater in intensity for me, all because I was freaked out thinking I would flip again.

Boy, I love running Westwater... ?...

DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #45
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yes, Sock and Skull are the boat flippers. I would add Funnel to that.

Last time through in the teens, I noticed a subtle but strong boil along the right hand wall above Skull. In order to do the "set up right, end up left" move, you have to work to be in position. I guarantee many of the flips in Skull are the result of bad set ups because the river is pushing you left before the rapid.

But seriously. Dead center over Last Chance. Under 7.5k there is an exposed rock on the back side, over 12k it all goes away. Next time you're in that window, consider not sneaking.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #46
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
One other thing to remember about Last Chance is that if you ever have to do a medical evac for someone (like with 3rd degree burns from a grease bomb gone wrong), there's an easy sneak on the right side of the rock so mellow you barely notice it.

I don't know about any other easy sneaks but if someone was rowing me out with a compound fracture I'd sure hope my oarsman avoided the big hits!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #47
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Last year @ 11,000 our friends flipped their 16 foot raft on Skull and headed right for the rock of shock with the boat behind them. They were quick enough to push to the side of the boat while it hit the rock of shock. One of them got pushed deep and came up gasping for air. It was a lateral wave that came off the cliff (river right) after Skull rock. They came down straight and didn't turn left in time. The wave scooped them up high and over.
We were able to get the flipped raft stuck on a rock in the middle of the river and run a line to the bank.

The first time down WW, the wife and I got flushed out the back of my cat on Sock-it-too me.

good times,

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #48
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
In 2013 It peaked at 13,000 around the second week of May. I would be surprised if it makes it that high this year. I was lucky enough to hit the peak that year and was feeling really good until the 5-0 wave in Funnel crested and stopped my 16' cat dead. I pushed forward on the oars but went nowhere. The next raft passed me and it felt like I was sitting six feet beneath them. I probably was. For a moment I thought how surreal it was to have water moving by me in all directions but to be looking up at canyon walls that were as stationary as I was. I continued to point downriver and push...push...push. I knew there was only one outcome if it turned sideways and, not having a passenger and a rig too tall for me to easily climb onto, it would have been a long swim. Finally, I felt Supercat rise up and slide to the right and I was free!

I was there a couple weeks ago at 3600 and it was a fun and easy level. I'll be back early May (for my birthday!) and hope to see it showing its teeth. Such a beautiful, different, and memorable place every time!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #49
irvine, California
Good post gremlin, 13k is the real deal at Funnel. Been there too.

Can't wait for my back to back horsethief/Ruby/westwater, followed by the San Juan the day after my take out. It sure beats SoCal drought...

Old 04-09-2015   #50
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
West water

I have been down from 55,ooo - 1200 I think the lower the better. Everything except scull let's you know why they were named what they were

wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote