Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 12-12-2014   #11
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post

Just like being a ski instructor, this gig may not be nearly as glamorous as they make it out to be, and we want to think it is.

I resemble that remark. These aren't glamorous: lifting five year old off the snow dozens of times a day; not having time for lunch because you are so booked 4 weeks out of the year; getting to ski on your free time like 7-10 days because your body is so wrecked from work, making an average of $50-75 a day while committing 8-10 hours to work and travel? We must live on different planets, Andy.

One of my dreams when we have a kid is to spend summers camp hosting and fire lookout observing with them when they are old enough. Most of the positions only require 4-6 weeks of commitment and I would love to expose our child to the diverse types of people that explore the West, especially since we live in a rather homogenous rural town. It wouldn't be glamorous by any means but I think it would be a way to bond, explore and learn with our kid. Granted, it would mean a) we have to have a kid sometime and b) they enjoy camping and being outside.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014   #12
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Does anyone know if "Dave" is still a ranger at Lodore? After posting about what sticklers he and his colleagues were he PM'd me and threatened to harass a trip I was on. Every time I'm there now I worry about this dude giving me trouble.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014   #13
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
The very essence of "public servant", huh?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014   #14
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Schutzie could be interested.
I'd be a good friend for rafters, since I can be bribed (no domestic beers unless they are craft beers please)
I would probably not be a good friend to Kayakers since they would try to steal the bribes the rafters gave me.

But in any case, I have a question;
What does "You will need to provide a recreational living unit" mean?
Does this mean I have to bring my own tent, or my own wife, or both, or something else?

I could probably get my wife to join me (she still finds me attractive after all), and I do have a tent (a great big damn thing, takes a day to put it up or take it down) but I just want to make sure a "recreational living unit" means what I think it does.

And another question; could my yappy 10LB. Rat dog come along? She doesn't like water or strangers but at least she has an annoying bark.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014   #15
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
The campground host at the Ladore put-in last June 8th walked up, no introductions, and started taking pictures of our life jackets and texting them to park headquarters. With the comment that we didn't have proper equipment. Then a ranger showed up and said we were blocking the road. My truck was sticking out of the empty parking lot 2' while we unloaded, and two cars had passed in six hours. Then while it was getting dark, he demanded to see all the jackets and told us we would be ticketed if we slept on our boats. It was the most singular case of abuse and harassment I can remember. Fortunately, we had a trip member who knew somebody up high in the park service, so we drove 10 miles to get a cell signal and vented on them. When the ranger came back in the morning, he was a changed man. We did have all the necc. equipment. Then the ranger gave a detailed description of the rapids and where to pull over to scout. At the end of the talk, a woman asked how many trips down the river he had. Well, none! The scouting advice was useless, as it turned out. Dino has been a hassle every one of my four trips. It seems to be their trademark.
catsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #16
Eastside, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Does anyone know if "Dave" is still a ranger at Lodore? After posting about what sticklers he and his colleagues were he PM'd me and threatened to harass a trip I was on. Every time I'm there now I worry about this dude giving me trouble.
Why would he do that?
Oarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #17
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
We found it productive to offer bribes (beer) to rangers as it enhanced our interactions with them, even if they declined our offers.

Two memorable rangers accepted not only our offer of beer, but self extended the offer to include food and whiskey. The next morning they were last seen driving out, wearing company T Shirts and weaving from road edge to road edge. Never had any hassles with them and they seemed to enjoy checking us in.

Another ranger had the misfortune of being accosted by our annual Bronco football trip participants (trip for NFL players week before training camp). As it turned out he made the mistake of informing the group of very intoxicated football players that neither their intoxication or attempts to enter the ranger trailer were appropriate, and he further complicated matters by demanding to know who the trip leader was. A miscommunication between the bus driver and our guides caused us to arrive some 6 hours after the already intoxicated football players were dropped at the put in; on arrival we discovered that the ranger had been imprisoned (or perhaps had imposed his own incarceration) in the trailer. The NFL boys were in the process of building a fire under the trailer to, as they put it, "teach that ill mannered C@(k bite some manners".
Thankfully, their extended high level of intoxication made their coordination such that they could not even strike the match, much less apply it to the wood they had piled under the trailer.
On release the ranger jumped in his official ranger truck and fled the scene, never to be encountered again. We did receive a firmly worded letter from the head ranger suggesting that going forward we might want to better control our groups.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #18
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Times have changed... the rangers who would share a beer or three now take their LE duties VERY seriously, wear Kevlar vest, mace and handgun on hip, etc. Lodore has always had a reputation, usually deserved. I don't mind showing anything required that they want to inspect, but being informed of best lines in rapids by someone has never been down the river is ridiculous. It was 8500+ at the putin that day, BTW - not a level for the faint of heart or clueless.
Some in authority try to find ways to put you on the water and have the experience/skills to know if you have your act together (Alvin at WW, for ex.). Others want you to kiss the ring... or something similarly shaped. But what's changed totally from the 70's/80's - and especially post 9/11 - is the emphasis on AUTHORITY. I suspect I'm not alone resenting it... but it's a lot easier to take from someone who knows what they're talking about and has been down the river a time or two.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #19
Steamboat, Colorado
Originally Posted by Oarlock View Post
Why would he do that?
Are you "Dave?"
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #20
Eastside, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by soggy_tortillas View Post