waterproof point and shoots, 2016 version - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-25-2016   #1

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
waterproof point and shoots, 2016 version

I have been looking hard on the buzz, and the internet trying to find a good waterproof point and shoot. I saw the fuji xp90 at costco, and took it home this morning, but I am not impressed with the pictures. I am taking it on the water on a float tomorrow, and might be returning it on saturday if it does not take some good shots. I have heard good things about the olympus tg-3/ tg-4 but have not been able to see them in person. Anyone try them? like them? is there another camera I should be looking at too?

jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Have a Sony that I have been really happy with but it is a few years old, my Dad bought the same one I think last year and likes it. Been happy with the pic quality for a point and shoot:

Submersible Underwater camera in pool water and sea | DSC-TX30 | Sony US
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #3
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I purchased the Panasonic TS6 to replace my barely functioning TS1 that served me well for many years. Highly recommend takes great photos.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Just got an Olympus tg4 and love it. I looked at the Costco camera and the one I saw didn't have a burst mode. Either that or you couldn't zoom during the movie. Or both limitations.
Old 08-25-2016   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
3 seperate Canon Powershot submersible camera's on the Grand trip I just got off of and they all seem to work well. I definitely am in the market too, as I'm tired of waiting for people to send out pictures after trips and I'm not willing to risk my nice DSLR even on side hikes. I took it on the grand trip and I think I got it out 3 times the whole trip.

I've heard good reviews of the Olympus TG series like you guys said, so that is on the short list for sure.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016   #6

Had the Tg-4 for a year, mostly gets used by my daughters but takes awesome photos. Pros: Easy to use, easy to change modes, dedicated video button, RAW (if you are into that), photo modes like microscope and live composite are awesome. Cons: Doesn’t use a normal micro-usb for charging, proprietary Olympus connector so you have to take another cord. Battery life seems good though and I picked up a couple Chinese backup batteries from Amazon for cheap.

Here’s some shots:

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016   #7

Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1990
Fuji XP60

Had this camera for a few years now. Bomb proof. Takes great pictures/videos. Easy to set up and operate - even for me. It has all the standard options. Favorite feature besides picture quality is it's almost zero "spool up" time. I turn it on and by the time I've got the picture in the view finder it's ready to shoot. I looked long and hard and this camera was head and shoulders above others in this respect - I don't miss pictures anymore waiting for the camera to get ready. It is not expensive. This shot is on the Copper River 2 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0316.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	880.9 KB
ID:	12257  
Alaskajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016   #8
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Fuji XP90 is great!
Old 08-27-2016   #9
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Nikon Coolpix has been very reliable for me, and taken many great photos and video, battery life is excellent, and it turns on and shoots rapidly. it also does not fog up nearly as much as the old olympus tough i had for too long. picture quality is awesome imo, except lack of real zoom or wide (standard for point and shoot)
i keep it clipped in to a mini cold-shut locking biner in my pfd pocket. Another thing i figured out on the fly was to protect it by keeping it in a beer coozie to protect it... (figured that one out at the upper salt put-in)... lol. it's worked well enough to keep using it since.
heres good reviews for all the above:
The Best Waterproof & Rugged Cameras for Summer 2016
The Best Waterproof Digital Cameras of 2016 - Best Waterproof Cameras | Roundup | PCMag.com
Top 10 Waterproof Cameras of 2016 | Top Ten Reviews
This camera (Nikon AW1)looks very intriguing although it has terrible reviews on amazon, due to price and potential seal failure with interchangeable lenses. I am ready for a better version of this, more zoom, more quality... not if its gonna fail tho.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
3 seperate Canon Powershot submersible camera's on the Grand trip I just got off of and they all seem to work well. I definitely am in the market too, as I'm tired of waiting for people to send out pictures after trips and I'm not willing to risk my nice DSLR even on side hikes. I took it on the grand trip and I think I got it out 3 times the whole trip.

I've heard good reviews of the Olympus TG series like you guys said, so that is on the short list for sure.
I have a fairly inexpensive DSLR I bring on river trips. It's the Canon SL1, the smallest DSLR currently on the market, and available for as low as $289 for the body. I have looked at the TG series as well as the TS series and they are both decent, but not good enough for what I'm looking for. My shots need to be high enough resolution to be printed. So I am considering a flexible underwater housing. This one seems to be the best option I have found:

Canon EOS 100D*Rebel SL1 Underwater Housing for Mirrorless by Ewa-Marine with Lens with thread up to 72mm Lens Port