Old 09-26-2014   #1
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Waterproof cameras

Has anyone purchased a waterproof camera recently that you are very happy with? My wife's Canon D10 died last weekend and she would like to replace it. That camera lasted 3 or 4 years of heavy use and abuse and met the most important criteria - color rendering and sharpness. From reading reviews it sounds like Canon is resting on their laurels and might be falling behind in quality and innovation. Nikon and Olympus are getting high marks.

We're tempted to just get another Canon; brand loyalty and the batteries are the same so we would already have spares, but would like to hear about other's recent decisions to buy a waterproof camera. Thanks!

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #2
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I searched through threads on here and web reviews and went with the Nikon AW110. It has worked well and works well in cold weather too. Takes great quality photos and has a lot of options with it. GPS tracks distance between photos and altitude/depth, you can make a log to that shows your traveled route.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #3
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I have had an Olympus, pentax and now a cheap Fuji. The Olympus took great pictures, better than any other point and shoot I've had. I got it in 2005 and the door broke off in 2009 - they warrantied it but, it had a battery draining problem and never really worked after that. The pentax was lost fairly quickly, but it had horrible battery life, pics were good. My newer Fuji (couple years old, $129 from Costco) is just about right. Takes good pictures (not epic, but clear enough that you can zoom and crop a bit without getting grainy) was cheap and has a rock solid door. Battery lasts quite a while. The video's are great, blows away my pentax video cam...It's a Fuji XP20, I think there are newer versions, with GPS, higher MP's et. but I like it and would replace it in kind if necessary. I value expendability currently in my life.

While it may sound strange, I think my new G-5 phone takes better pics than any of the camera's I have...I haven't yet tried it under water (and don't have that much confidence in the WP rating but with a LP case someday I might.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #4
Denver-ish, Colorado
Plus one for the Olympus Tough series. Only negative would be the slow recovery/write speed to take another picture when taking low light pictures, but it's not a DSLR so I wouldn't expect super fast response.
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #5
steamboat, Colorado
Sony XT 30

no lag time, no reduction in quality for 10fps shots (sequence). only bummer is it is all touch screen controls.
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #6
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990

If you can get the Kodak playsport xp3, you are in luck.Nothing fancy, but the durability, and reliability are awesome. They have come out with the xp5 which also has good reviews, except its battery is built in and non replaceable. The doors for the battery slots and memory card slots are pretty solid also.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #7
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Please keep the suggestions coming. This definitely is giving us a few more things to consider. I would like to get the best images from a waterproof (sandproof) and rugged camera and won't use many additional features. We don't even own smartphones so that gives you an idea how nerdy we aren't.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #8
Decatur, Georgia
Paddling Since: 1973
waterproof cases

I use the Canon SD800is and the Canon G15 in Canon waterproof cases. As I'm mostly a canoeist, I don't need as much compactness. The SD800is is way out of production, but the G15 sports a 5x lens that is f1.8 at wide angle and f2.8 at 140 mm. Pocket waterproofs can't match that.
ezwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014   #9
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Panasonic males awesome small digitals- I have a waterproof from 2 or 3 years ago and it's fantastic. If you keep up on the reviews, Panasonic and Canon generally duel it out for top marks. is an excellent source for info, reviews and user ratings.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014   #10
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Can't speak to the waterproof panasonics, but the Panasonic lumix has been great for us commercially in the royal gorge for many years. They last 3-4 years, in a peli 1120, but I know they get wet fairly frequently. Good frames/sec for action, small, relatively cheap.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote