URGENT! Help Protect the Grand Canyon before September 3rd! - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Boaters Forum | General Boating Topics

Old 09-08-2016   #11
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hey wamsley, so i have one thought regarding the issue of not telling the Navajo what to do with there land.
At least as far as far as emailing the tribal elders, don't tell them what to do.
However, if you believe as I do, that this would be very damaging to the Grand canyon, what would be wrong with simply ASKING, them not to approve this project? Be respectful, but it can't hurt to ask.

It sounds as though this project could be very damaging to the Navajo people, and many of them oppose it, along with neighboring tribes. It is possible that if the Elders decision is swayed by wilderness lovers from around the world, that they may even avoid a $65 million mistake, and a major blow to the Grand canyon on the scale of what our culture has been doing.

Old 09-08-2016   #12

lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Wamsley, here's something to think about. It's not their land, they stoled it from the Hopi. The Navajo post date the Spanish arrival in the southwest. They are an Athabscan(sic?) people who migrated from southeastern ak/yukon area. The Navajo were a colonial empire who treated the locals pretty much the same way us euro's treated them. Human nature I guess. Regarding the missing emails, the Navajo government seems to have a well deserved reputation of running things like a 3rd world banana republic. Corrupt, enrich themselves while doing nothing of real benefit for the Navajo people.
MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #13

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This just in:

Quote:
‎Helen Howard‎ to Grand Canyon Private Boaters FB Page

The Law And Order Committee of the Navajo Tribal Council met this morning and by a 4 opposed, 0 for vote did not recommend that the Navajo Tribal Council go forward with the Escalade Project. Extremely moving meeting and I will will post more later. This is a start. 3 more committees in the next few weeks apd probably to the NavajoTribal Counil at the end of January.Ever one of those council members quoted the 66,000 against and the 139 people for in the comment period. Still a ways to go, But such a great start.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #14
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
This just in:
I have crocodile tears in my eyes WAHOO!! I understand it's not over yet but this is fantastic news and yes a great start. Happy Dancing inserted here!! ~ Renee
Old 10-10-2016   #15

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Can I still post my No Gondola in the Grand stickers on my boat, garage shop, car, etc.? My outrage hasn't fully subsided yet.

Thanks to all who have made this first step and hopefully the end result happen.
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #16
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Heck YES duct tape! Do you need some more or some to share with friends? I will send you some if you want to PM me your address. ~ Renee
Old 10-13-2016   #17

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Here is an update in another thread, regarding a meeting that was held where there was full opposition to the Escalade development.

Navajo Committee Turns Down Escalade at First Meeting
David L is offline   Reply With Quote