Old 01-16-2014   #11
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Good to 25 MPH

The Jeep/Puma amphibious party vehicle can do about 25 before the raft becomes aerodynamically unstable.

Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #12
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Yah trailers are great but not so much for multiple days on the highway. Also sounds like your trying to put a 14' boat on a pickup bed, 6 or 8'. Either that or it'll be high enough to go over the cab of the truck? There are some real wind issues going on here, along with the loading/unloading issue.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #13
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by Issip View Post
The Jeep/Puma amphibious party vehicle can do about 25 before the raft becomes aerodynamically unstable.

If you tied the bow line to the front bumper, you could drive faster.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #14
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Every time my boat has been inflated and on a friend's trailer I always wonder and worry what might be hitting it.

I'd like to get a tarp to go over it, thinking it will give it at least a little protection, but how much, really, would the tarp help when it's going 60 mph and striking something? If it would stay in place in the wind. Maybe something else that would be big enough, rather than, say, a few blankets laid over it?

I usually arrive at a put-in with my gear packed in the back of my pickup. It doesn't bother me to take the time to rig; I'm used to it. It kind of feels good to be "making my boat" at the ramp, getting ready to go. However, it would also be nice to get there and be able to relax and sit with a beer.

Originally Posted by mtrafter View Post
I deflate and roll my boat up on any drive over an hour,highways are a prime place for random flying objects to shiv your boat prison style while on the trailer and bam you are out $5 large,i would just put your frame on the roof and throw the boat in the back rolled up,not to mention your fuel consumption is going to be beyond horrible with a boat on your roof towing a camper lol
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #15
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
My old hyside has lived on a trailer for a dozen years, I'm sure it's got 20-30K miles on the trailer, if not more. I've never had any damage from things hitting it. I have had to clean of several inches of mud from miles and miles of dirt roads enroute to or from the river and my trailer no longer has any paint on the leading edges but the raft appears totally unaffected by any of it. I would not worry about damage but then again I like to live dangerously!

...and beer tastes better when you're watching other people rig or
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #16
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Another option is putting a trailer hitch on your "holiday trailer" and have a trailer, trailing your trailer. This would give you the option of parking your camper and having your raft trailer for day trips.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #17
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
Mtrafter nailed it!
liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #18
Zula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
I transport my raft on top of my rig , I installed the rack myself, and the rack comes off during the winter. Two people can load the raft , we load the back of the rig with the cooler , and other gear . . . plus I can haul 5 people in the rig comfortably.

I welded 4 d-rings to my bumpers , I use two ratchet straps , 1 front , 1 rear , when strapped down , the ratchet straps form a " A " . There are also two d-rings on the side off the carrier , where I use two more straps to hold down the sides .

We have traveled down the road at 65 mph ... raft does not move . . .
even with cross winds .

The top of the raft carrier is 3/4 marine plywood that is carpeted with outdoor carpet which is glued and stapled on the underside . . . which helps promote a longer lasting platform , that is not affected by the elements . . . wind, rain, sand , sun etc .

Can't wait to get out there this year , hopefully, we start to get more moisture . . . been way to dry this winter .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raft Transport.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	7584  
Raftin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #19
denver, Colorado
I would be curious to hear if anyone has ever heard of a raft on a trailer getting a hole or damage from road debris
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #20
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I would be curious to hear if anyone has ever heard of a raft on a trailer getting a hole or damage from road debris

One cause is vibration/rubbing by the boat on some debris that was on the trailer, and trailers with carpet may hold more potentially harmful debris. High speed projectiles can do damage as well. While rare occurrences, $#!t happens!

I concur with the roll the boat for trips over an hour, leave it on the trailer for local trips strategy.

DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote