tips for packing coolers - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2017   #1

Bozeman, Montana
tips for packing coolers

Bought a nice 65qt cooler. Anyone have tips or suggestions for keeping the cooler cold? I plan on filling it with frozen food/ chugs to chill the cooler the day before. Anyone use NU / Yeti ice in addition to ice? Anyone regularly use dry ice for extended trips?

walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2017   #2

Avon, Colorado
Do a quick search of this forum and you'll find every option ever discussed on this topic. You should find about 232,876 posts on cooler management alone. Happy cooling.
Powdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #3

Rock Springs, Wyoming
Tons of advice on here to say the least, but one thing I've found makes a huge difference is buying a sacrificial bag of ice the day before you plan on packing your cooler. The amount of energy a warm cooler sucks up is huge so taking the time to cool it down makes a massive difference. Good luck

WYO
GROH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2017   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
I use cooler blankets to cover the block ice with in the bottom of the cooler.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1800
There are all kinds of great cooler tricks, but in addition to covering the cooler ice with cooler blanket (cardboard works too for that, but eventually can get soggy) I recommend getting a piece of foil covered bubble wrap insulation & cutting it to the inside diameter size of your cooler & then using it as a top layer over your cooler items. Also, cover the cooler with a paco pad or other insulating material during the day, anything to keep it shaded & out of direct sunlight, especially if it won't be covered with dry bags or other rigged gear.
ranamafana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #6

I got one of these evaporative dog pads and wrapped it around the outside of the cooler, and would periodically spray it down throughout the day:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can get blankets, towels, etc all made from the same material, but the dog pad was the right size for my cooler and one of the cheapest options.

Of course, the most important thing is to minimize how often you open the cooler. I pre-bag my beers so each day I move a bag of beers from my main cooler to my day cooler. That lets me pop it open in the morning, grab a bag, and close it right back up really quickly.

I froze half the beers in each bag pre-trip, and those were the ones I drank later in the day. Early in the trip that ended up being too many frozen beers (they were still frozen when I wanted them), and later in the trip there were not enough frozen beers (didn't stay cool all day). Next time I'll try freezing less beers in the early bags and more in the later bags.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Thanks.

I'm looking at a RTIC 40 soft cooler for beers and other day items and leave all the food in the yeti. Might try and experiment with dry ice for extended trips.
walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017   #8

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
For extended trips I have been using the local ice sculpture guy. He custom cuts slabs to fit each cooler and the ice has little to no oxygen in it. The stuff lasts for weeks if you practice good cooler management. We opened our cooler on days 10-13 for cook crew and we were still giving away cocktail ice on day 15. Not nearly as expensive as you think either. We brought a dedicated ice cooler and we had cocktail ice on take out day (day 22) We did use foil backed bubble wrap to separate the food that could not come in contact with the ice.
Managan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
some larger coolers could probably fit your cooler inside
Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017   #10

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy View Post
Of course, the most important thing is to minimize how often you open the cooler. I pre-bag my beers so each day I move a bag of beers from my main cooler to my day cooler. That lets me pop it open in the morning, grab a bag, and close it right back up really quickly.

I froze half the beers in each bag pre-trip, and those were the ones I drank later in the day. Early in the trip that ended up being too many frozen beers (they were still frozen when I wanted them), and later in the trip there were not enough frozen beers (didn't stay cool all day). Next time I'll try freezing less beers in the early bags and more in the later bags.
I am not sure that freezing beers is something I want to do regularly. Would prefer not to have a freezer full of busted beers. ...unless you're drinking all high alcohol suds.

More importantly, what kind of maniac limits themselves to a specific amount of beer per day???