Old 06-05-2016   #1
Chandler, Arizona
Paddling Since: '92
Tip for shuttle drivers

What's your standard for tipping the shuttle drivers? I'm all for taking care of the people who are taking care of my vehicle(s). Just unclear on the amount. A percentage of the total? Number of hours x $10 bucks? Extra for the trailer? Assuming that the rest of the road beers and a jj would just be a bonus.

Specifically a DesoGray shuttle. Thanks.

Blue Skies n Whitewater

Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #2
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008

On the Deschutes, about a 4 hour shuttle, I tip $25. On the Main Salmon, a very long day, $50. I also appreciate what the drivers do. I may be tipping slightly low - not sure.

cmharris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I want to say we tipped $50 for our Toyota truck (no trailer) last time on Deso/Gray.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #4
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You might not want to leave the weed - it is Utah and distributing it is a felony. 99% chance they're cool, but be careful in Utah!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #5
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
I tip like any service industry - 25%, but I usually round up to the nearest 10.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #6
Donkey Town, Colorado
People tip shuttle drivers? Bahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jimr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #7
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't think many people tip, so anything is a bonus. We used to leave a couple cold beers in the cooler for our Smith river shuttles, but as the companies have changed we stopped that. I left them $20 on a $120 dollar shuttle this year and my rig was spotless when I picked it up. I don't think they really expect it, so a little goes along ways. I sure hope I don't have to start tipping 20% on shuttles, that might be a little high on most trips.

That's the first cash tip I've ever left... I doubt I'll do it on day trips, but long trips and nasty roads - it might just get folks to treat your shit with respect vs rallying over wash boards with the trailer whipping around in the back.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #8
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Tip 20% anytime a tip is due. If you feel you could have done it yourself then you should have and a service was not needed. The service industry spends all of their cash back into the economy too. They aren't putting 20 bucks cash into a bad stock or something so it strengthens your local economy. This is why Montana doesn't seem to care about taxing service industry tips I've always figured. Also I would assume the shuttle guys will remember you the next time and make sure you are their first priority. Take it from a bartender. We remember who bought our food and beer at the end of the day.
Jamesdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #9
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
People tip shuttle drivers? Bahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
I like to try to incentivize those who are running my shuttles not to beat the hell out of my car and trailer, I've found that a tip goes a long way to that end.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #10
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
I never used to leave a tip but I have on the last couple trips and I have not really seen any difference, and one time on the main salmon(after leaving a tip) my rig was left at Spring Bar and not at Carey Creek, after i hitched out to get cell service to call the shuttle company I just happened to noticed it at Spring Bar. Yes I did get in touch with the shuttle company and they made things right. So my point is that not always leaving a tip gets you any better service. Maybe we should leave a tip after the service is completed much like the F&B business. And another point to make most servers are compensated with a tip from the public because in part they are only payed minimum wage, so after your service that's when you tip. I'm assuming that shuttle drivers are payed pretty decent hourly. So why pay so much tip like some are suggesting 15% some say even 20%. I do think a tip is nice and so I leave at least something like 20-30 dollars.

rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote