Tip for shuttle drivers - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-29-2016   #41

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Here's a tip. Go get your GED and get a job in the city. Leave shuttling to retired folks and mom's who are just killing time while the kids are in school. Like fast food work , shuttling is not a career. It's an excuse to go for a drive in the woods.

Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016   #42

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
This has been an interesting read for me. I've only had a few shuttles paid for before. And honestly, I have not tipped before. Not because I have anything against tipping, I just never realized this was an anticipated part of the experience!

Granted OP was discussing a long and arduous shuttle... not an hour on the freeway. Anyone with experience care to share what a shuttle driver typically makes? I'm all for tipping for above and beyond service, and for those in fields who don't make enough to live off of without tips. But I'm not a huge fan of the pressured tip or 'else your stuff will be treated like crap' type of blackmail that some here have insinuated occurs.
UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016   #43

Salem, Oregon
I should say that my limited experience paying for shuttles is on the Rogue. $120/vehicle for what amounts to 4 hours of time from Galice to Foster Bar and back.

Or the expensive option... which I've done when no-one wanted to have their personal vehicle driven over. $350 + $10/person to be picked up with a van + trailer for a group up to 15.

Either way that's a minimum of $30/hour the company makes, should be reasonable to at least pay the driver $15/hour I would think. Anyway... just random musings on my part here.

As I said... I am not against tipping, and am just new enough to the scene to still be learning about what is considered proper etiquette.
UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016   #44

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by UriahJones View Post
Granted OP was discussing a long and arduous shuttle... not an hour on the freeway. Anyone with experience care to share what a shuttle driver typically makes? I'm all for tipping for above and beyond service, and for those in fields who don't make enough to live off of without tips. But I'm not a huge fan of the pressured tip or 'else your stuff will be treated like crap' type of blackmail that some here have insinuated occurs.
I'm not sure why anyone would pay for a 1 or 2 hour shuttle. I have hitch-hiked that length of shuttle many times without issue. If I'm paying someone I don't know to drive my vehicle it's on a run like Deso, or Cataract or something with a very long round trip drive. Something that will occupy an entire day of my vacation.

I tip because I work in the service industry and have responsibility over customer's personal possessions quite often, and I appreciate every tip I get. Doesn't really change the way I do my job, but I understand why it's a good thing.
Old 08-29-2016   #45

Denver, Colorado
I guess if you're middle aged and have a tired family waiting to go home after a full day outing and seventy bucks doesn't seem like a ton of money because you have a full time job that limits your time more than your disposable income then the calculus changes.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016   #46

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I always tip. Usually $10 at the upper c. $30 for Lodore, $50 for deso. More for the Idaho shuttles. Always at least 20%. More for roads that are less improved. I feel that it is like investing into my rig, the industry, and the employee who is working seasonally in a remote location. When you do the math, MOST shuttle companies are doing pretty well to keep the prices reasonable.
Fuzzie is online now   Reply With Quote