Tip for shuttle drivers - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2016   #31

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
20%? Damn. Guess I'm not using shuttles for more reasons than just stolen and wrecked vehicles.

Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016   #32

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
20% tip? OMG I not going to tip until I know how good the service is! If at a later date I let the shuttle company know that it was worth a tip that's when I tip and not before. When I go out to dine I don't give my waiter a tip until after the service is complete and that is how it should be in the shuttle business
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016   #33

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I tip $25 bucks with a note thanking the driver for their service. Haven't had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016   #34

Fruita, Colorado
I find it funny that people who will tip vallet parking at a hotel 10 bucks to park thier car won't tip a shuttle driver to drive thier car and a trailer fifty miles and help them take the raft out of the river and put it on a trailer and then sit in a car for the ride back.
TupperwareBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016   #35

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperwareBill View Post
I've found that the best tippers drive POS Subaru's that smell like a wet dogs ass.
You must have ran shuttle for me once or twice
Old 08-28-2016   #36
Bill Treat

Red Bluff, California
Paddling Since: 2004
Tips are essential

For the past six years our group has used shuttle companies for trips down the Green, Snake, Main Salmon, Rogue, and Middle Salmon. We do two things, get recommendations from other rafters for shuttle companies, and leave tips. These are very long shuttle trips, and in every case vehicles are well taken care of and parked nicely at takeouts. This year one vehicle broke down and was left where I could work on it easily. I even ran into the driver who shuttled my car and he thanked me for the tip and told me what he thought was wrong with the broken vehicle. Tips are huge in any service business, especially when that service is to spend hours driving your vehicle. I do like the idea of leaving the tip with the company and a note in the car.
btreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016   #37
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperwareBill View Post
I find it funny that people who will tip vallet parking at a hotel 10 bucks to park thier car won't tip a shuttle driver to drive thier car and a trailer fifty miles and help them take the raft out of the river and put it on a trailer and then sit in a car for the ride back.
What forum do you think you are on? I have never had my car valet parked ever. Closest to that is river shuttles and I always tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu View Post
20%? Damn. Guess I'm not using shuttles for more reasons than just stolen and wrecked vehicles.
We have a few great companies that work shuttle business up here in Idaho. They have good drivers, are responsible and do the right thing. Not all of them are but most. And at least for the long shuttles we run up here it closer to 10 to 15 % or $30 to $40. But shuttle your own if you don't mind spending 12 to 16 hours shuttling the day before you launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivh2o View Post
20% tip? OMG I not going to tip until I know how good the service is! If at a later date I let the shuttle company know that it was worth a tip that's when I tip and not before. When I go out to dine I don't give my waiter a tip until after the service is complete and that is how it should be in the shuttle business
Says you. This isn't the food business where if something isn't right they can make it right in 15 minutes.

You are giving a small sum of money to an anonymous person that you will likely never meet, to help convince them that you care about them and want them to take care of your multi-thousand to tens of thousands of dollar investment, as best they can.

If you think the food service model crosses over to this in any way you are mistaken, but welcome to your opinion.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016   #38

Colorado Plateau Metropolis, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Tipped a Deso/Grey driver last year. The message I got back went something like this.

"Thanks for the Tip, I drove your truck as if it were my own."

Left me scratching my head, and chuckling a little bit.
portercassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016   #39

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
With the insane cost of shuttles and low employment, I am finding it much easier this year just to hire a friend to taxi me in my own car. They don't even ask for a tip. The price is good enough. Also, CL has been good to me for shuttles out of state. I have easily saved shuttles cost by a 1/3 this year and no tips! Everyone is happy....
Old 08-29-2016   #40

Denver, Colorado
When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be stuff like, "always use turn signals. check your blind spot before changing lanes. park on level ground if possible and use parking brakes and chocks on uneven ground. scout turnarounds when pulling large trailers". stuff like that.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote