The Year of Lost - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2016   #1

We're screwed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Year of Lost

Surely I'm not the only one that's noticed the amount of lost item posts that have been put out there this season. It seems exceptionally high. I feel bad for those that lose their items, but I'll also say this(including myself as guilty of this too). What were you thinking??? It's awesome we have a safety net like the buzz to get some of it back, but seriously. We gotta do better.

My own example from 2 years ago - I failed to strap down a rubber maid tub that was riding in my boat on my trailer. Inside it was roughly $600 of pfd's and rafting gear. Somewhere between Vail and Eagle it went on an unannounced walkabout. I even posted about it here. In my case it was never found or reported as found, but I now strap down ALL items on my trailer regardless of whether big or small.

I don't know if this post even has a point other than to say:

You bunch of dumbasses! Get your shit together!

***For those that have had items stolen, this post does not apply to you. You have my permission to cut off the pinky toes of the thief if and when you find them.

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Don't forget to put your name on your gear so folks can get it back to you.

And yeah, it seemed like it was an exceptional high water year with the amount of L&F stuff.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
Lots of lost gear tells me that there's lots of beginners on the river and folks pushing their limits. That's awesome! Way to get after it whitewater brethren!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #4

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I don't think its so much getting after it. I think its smoken the dubies. I was in CO for a month and I hardly saw anyone on the water getting after it.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #5

We're screwed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Perhaps some are people pushing limits, but mostly seems like faulty brain power. Yes, some are in the weed legal area, but search the word "lost" and you'll find it's not just our great rectangle that's guilty.
Old 07-13-2016   #6

Bazzaro, World
Hell, weed is about legal in all the western states. PPl are smoking Washington weed on the Vegas strip and nobody cares. OR, WA and CO is supplying everyone. The rectangle is bigger than CO. But yep the lost boats are getting after it for sure. (-:

PFD at take out????
Old 07-13-2016   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
If your idea of a good time is taking a handful of unconnected events and then drawing a broad conclusion about a whole segment of society, you may want to check out the "Facebook" website. Seems to be a popular activity over there. Cheers!
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #8

Bazzaro, World
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
If your idea of a good time is taking a handful of unconnected events and then drawing a broad conclusion about a whole segment of society,
I'm sorry that you don't like data science. Hehehheh weeee! But sorry Jmac. Don't take this too serious. Having a little bit of joking keeps the sole clean. Nobody thinks that only smot pokers lose stuff. Chill, throw the legs up and relax.

Maybe church would be a better place for ppl who easily get the butt hurt when we talk shit.
Old 07-13-2016   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I don't think its so much getting after it. I think its smoken the dubies. I was in CO for a month and I hardly saw anyone on the water getting after it.

Must not have looked very hard... I have over 50 days on the rio this season all class 4 or 5
ColoradoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #10

Bazzaro, World
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBoater View Post
Must not have looked very hard... I have over 50 days on the rio this season all class 4 or 5
I saw a few out on the numbers. Nobody on OBJ. I don't know CO well and I had a lot of work to do so I didn't get "after it" like I hoped but I did get 3 to 4 runs a week for almost month. It was really hard to find any true class 4 water. Seemed like everything was right down the middle with a move here or there. Next year I'll message you for the 4/5 runs. Maybe I missed the crowd because I was on the down side?? IDK