Old 06-24-2013   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Super Moon

Ok, so the official super moon was Sunday night, but it was still plenty bright on Saturday night so we decided to do a moonlight run on Brown's Canyon. There were 2 of us in duckies and one cat. We put glow sticks on the front and back of each boat and one on each person. We started off just after 9:00. The barely submerged rocks were hard to see until the last second so we got stuck a couple of times at the beginning, but it was surprising how well we could see the major features. Once we got down Zoom Flume we were feeling a lot more confident because we found that we could see everything we needed to. In the 7-steps area, the moon hadn't risen above the cliff walls yet, so it was pretty dark in there. But we could see the shores and what was right in front of us, so we just stayed a little left of center and kept paddling. It was kind of eerie seeing all those glow sticks bobbing in front of me. When the moon re-emerged from behind the cliffs, we were happy. For much of the run, the moon was in front of us and it was beautiful how it reflected off the water. We got to Hecla at midnight. It was an amazing run. Thanks, Brian, for the idea and Bill for joining us on this adventure.

xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #2
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
That sounds awesome. We were down in the Gunny Gorge and the moon on the canyon walls was spectacular.

Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #3
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Nice! We as well had a crew paddling slaughterhouse for the super moon. Two kayakers an four mini me's all sporting glow sticks. The left boof on slaughterhouse falls in to complete darkness was a life changer. Epic mission
Vando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #4
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We camped on Browns sat night and saw you guys! We we're on RL at the beginning. Probably hooting and hollering. I've always wanted to night float Browns. That might have been the tipping point I needed. Good work.

The moon last night in Silverthorne looked like something from Thriller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-79996352.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	6543
WillYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #5
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Four of us in kayaks ran 2 laps on Bridges section of the Poudre Saturday night. We put on around mid-night and took off around after two a.m. Fantastic evening paddling the "glow kayaks" and fun surfing waves and playing around. For most people rolling in the dark is the same as in the daytime (eyes closed). Some sections were quite dark as the moon just isn't as high in the sky as it will be in July and August but great runs nonetheless. Good times, good water!
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #6
Denver, Colorado
Yeah, Will. I think we hooted back at you. We went by 4 camps that hooted at us.
Old 06-24-2013   #7
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I saw y'all floating down with the glow sticks right before we turned in! Glad you had a good run.

It was kind of nippy Sat pm. - did you notice the cold much?
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #8
Mount Savage, Maryland
Paddling Since: 1993
Well nothing so exciting out east (rapid wise), but our annual night time solstice canoe float on the North Fork/Mainstem Potomac was nothing short of spectacular with a 93% waxing moon. Filling up the stringer with 16"-24" channel cats was icing on the cake!
planetsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #9
Denver, Colorado
I was in a dry suit, so I was very comfortable. In fact, I thought the water felt pretty warm on my face and hands. But my companions were in wet suits and they said they were pretty cold at the take-out.
Old 06-25-2013   #10
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I always wear my drysuit in my ducky, even on a hot day.

I remember a full moon Brown's run we did many years ago. What a special boating experience that was. Gotta do it again sometime soon.

David L is offline   Reply With Quote