Small self-bailing dory - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-16-2013   #21

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1974
I built these boats...

I used to work with Randy in 1983 when he was designing and building the prototypes under the umbrella of my dad's company Quintus, Inc. Seeing the "Brecchi Design" name and logo on the ad above brought back a lot of memories.

I think the boats were well made, and yes, they handled much better when full of cargo. In the April 1983 trip mentioned above, Randy was using it as a support vessel for the accompanying kayaks on the trip.

I recall a combination of polyester resin/woven fiberglass roving/PVC 1/4-inch foam core sandwich construction, which was vacuum-bagged in two separate steps. I recall being quite proud of the Adiprene L-100/MOCA urethane cast stems in the prow and the stern, designed to transfer the shock of impact. Reading about the repair on the boat that required a fire to cure the epoxy is eyebrow raising; it sounds like quite the adventure.

I enjoyed Randy's company very much; he often made me laugh with his clownish humor. I'm sad to report that he died of a heart condition about five years ago or so, while doing work as a firefighter, I think somewhere in New Mexico. It's been a great trip down memory lane seeing these photos and hearing these stories, and I hope this information is of help. Let me know if I can help further.

dancook56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013   #22

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
A friend of mine ran one down the Canyon around '89 or so. Beer was a great ballast... Until we drank it all. He had about 100lbs of rocks in his boat by the time we got to Lava. There was also a group of about six of them that we played leapfrog with for a while. Looked like lots of fun!
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013   #23

sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflind View Post
The guy I got it from said its tippy if not heavily loaded. Thoughts?
IHave One. You Need To Load It Heavy On The Bottom. I Have , 5 Gallon Gas Cans( Water Only) Put In The Side Hatches. A Yeti Sherpa 80 Qt Cooler Fits In The Front. Stay Away FroM Hard Containers Like Rocket Boxes. It Is The Funnest Boat I Have Ever Rowed. It Will Flip If Your Hit Sideways. I Have Flipped Twice. run A Flip Strap Under The Boat Pretty Tight. You Can Flip It Easily. It Wants To Be Right Side Up. I Have Some 8 Ft Oars,But Want To Try Some 9S. Try To Load It With The Most Weight Under you Centered.Jacks Plastic Made Some DeckpPads For It. I have a board that will go over the cockpit so the deck pads to make a bed.
When I Flipped my Girlfriend At The Time Faced Forward Holding The Gunwells. I Think The Extra Weight On Top Was A Big Factor. On The Plus Sidewhen She Was At The Front And We Would Hit The Top Of The Wave She Would Throw Her Weight Forward And It Would Pop Me Up Into Yhe Air. like riding a seesaw down the river. My Phone Is Capitalizing Everything.
joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013   #24

sandy, Utah
I Will Post Some Pics
Old 05-16-2013   #25

sandy, Utah
Jim Aton was the man I bought the Dory from. he ran it down the Grand Canyon a few times. it still has the patch from granite. I wonder if its the same Dory that they're talking about from above.
Old 05-31-2013   #26

sandy, Utah
here are some pics. note the deck pads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old computer pictures 792.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	6355   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260064.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	673.7 KB
ID:	6356  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260049.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	664.5 KB
ID:	6357  
Old 05-31-2013   #27
kanuman

port angeles, Washington
Paddling Since: 1977
Little Dory Story

I knew Randy well and was on his first two GC trips. Rocky Rossi did a little video "The Little Dory Story" with my good friend Ed. Someone is bound to still have a copy of it somewhere?

Love the history and the memories...................................Gary
kanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #28

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoolives View Post
Jim Aton was the man I bought the Dory from. he ran it down the Grand Canyon a few times. it still has the patch from granite. I wonder if its the same Dory that they're talking about from above.
Small world. We were just talking about the boat as we floated down the Grand this month with Jim. He is sad he sold it in hindsight. He had some adventures with that boat over the years. Never saw photos of it until now. 12 feet never looked so small.

Looks like a fun design. Can only imagine you want to hit laterals dead straight.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #29
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Can't be sure but I think I came across one of these while camped at Tanner a few years back. A guy was rowing it solo, pulled in and asked permission to hunt around with a metal detector, did so for awhile then happily rowed away. Smallest dory I had ever seen. Guy was very friendly and I had to laugh - - when I asked if he ever found anything good he said "I find a lot of tent stakes." I think he was searching for a beer stash. No, we didn't find it either, nor would we have taken someone else's stash! Peace
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #30

sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Small world. We were just talking about the boat as we floated down the Grand this month with Jim. He is sad he sold it in hindsight. He had some adventures with that boat over the years. Never saw photos of it until now. 12 feet never looked so small.

Looks like a fun design. Can only imagine you want to hit laterals dead straight.

Phillip
yeah you really want to be set up straight for anything you're going to hit head on. anything that hit you on the side is going to knock you over. I named it tipsy. When Your By YourselF You Can Really Use Your Hips To Control Your Pitch. Thats Why I Flipped In Granite On Hells,tThe Second Lateral Pushed Me Over. The First Stoll The Momentum.