SLC locals, I need help with skiing & rivers - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-21-2016   #1

SLC locals, I need help with skiing & rivers

My daughter just moved to SLC (Sugarhouse area).
She is working for Vail Assoc in Park City and will get a ski pass.
I live in Golden but will be in SLC seeing her and my grandson.
I get a Loveland Pass which this year comes with 3 days at Powder Mtn.
Trying to decide if I should get an Epic Pass which also includes Park City.
My question is, are there any deals on Park City Lift Tickets bought in SLC?
I would probably just ski 3-5 days at PC, prefer Powder Mtn.
I also assume she will get some discounted tickets but her husband would use those.

Second question, is it true that the closest Class 4/5 is in Banks, Idaho???
I am sure I will be passing thru SLC more often on my way to Idaho,
when does the Weber River run?
Anything else near by for Catboating?

Thanks for any help!

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2016   #2

Park City, Utah
If you are looking to maximize your ski time with your daughter, then an epic pass may be a good option, but PC/Canyons is nowhere near the best skiing in UT. Pow mow is fun, fluffy and chill. Snowbasin, BCC and LCC are all better options than PC, so if you want a taste of UT skiing, don't get locked in to the epic pass.

I am also a catboater and I like to hit the Murtaugh, and the Bear rivers when they are running...which is not often enough, I also go to Banks...so yeah, the best boating in northern UT is in Idaho. The Webe (hen-tag) is weak. I am trying to figure out how to get scrambled eggs on the Weber, but the take out is no bueno-you either have to deal with a powerhouse/decapitator damn and then take out above a low-head damn - or take out in a lane of I-84, neither are good options.

Just my opinion...you know what they say about opinions.

Feel free to pm me, but I may be slow to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I can't imagine Park City day passes are cheap no matter where you get them, probably can't gas up at Shell and get a 2 or 1 voucher in SLC. I don't know the pricing off the top of my head, but I'd bet the Epic Pass upgrade is still cheaper than one day pass at the window...

As for Powder Mt. you should definitely check it out. Great little area that makes up for the lack of really rad terrain with a nice attitude. That's the only place I've ever had an on-duty ski patroller say "follow me" and drop into a tuck...

Have fun!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #4

Thanks. Forgot about Murtaugh and the Bear.
Is most of the Weber a road scout?
My daughter need to get on a river nearby.
How predictable are the flows on these three?
Very light cats, portages and difficult access are often part of the deal.

Have skied almost everything in Northern Utah, except the Canyons.
Prefer the smaller, less crowded area, but this is about skiing with family.
The logical choice is to get an Epic Pass, but Loveland is so close and easy.

How does Utah get some much powder and have so few runnable rivers and creeks?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
How does Utah get some much powder and have so few runnable rivers and creeks?
That's the downside of the world's driest powder!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
That's the downside of the world's driest powder!

It's not any dryer than Colorado and we got lots o water!??
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
The Wasatch is about the size of some of Colorado's subranges.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #8

Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Hi Rich,
Ya the watersheds are not that big in UT; and the creeks near some of the best skiing (LCC/BCC) are too steep and woody for paddling for the most part. American Fork (watershed south of Alta/Snowbird) is slightly more kayakable, but its steep, low volume creeking with tons of wood.
The Provo, Weber and Ogden can be good, but are dam controlled so it takes a big year for the class 4 runs (Provo: Bridalveil, Weber: Eggs, Ogden: Narrows) to come in. I saw some folks run a shredder down the Ogden Narrows once. I don't recall seeing a full size cat on any of these.
The upper Logan is a very nice undammed 4-; but very narrow, brushy, never seen a cat on it. Roadside scout for the Monolith crux. You know how spring is, everything runs at once; so you often have to choose between Logan, upper Provo, Price, Ogden Narrows (and all of Idaho, WY, etc)..then its all done.
The Webers class 2/3- Henefer to Taggart, that is the most reliable summer water around here; its just getting shut off right now. Its between an interstate and a railroad, with ridiculous numbers of tubers on summer weekends. I don't remember seeing a cat on it; there are commercial rafts tho. There is a low bridge in Croyden, much discussion if oar rigs fit under it. Weber State will not rent their small rafts for the Weber in the summer; they say they get too beat up (?). Seems to me a little Puma would be perfect. Or an Aire inflatable couch

The Snake's Alpine Canyon, and Greys, are 4 hours away, Payette area is about 6. Its so worth it to go up there... even last weekend, there are still some cat boaters running the lower 5 every day. Even the "warmup" still has big sections (at 1080cfs!) (as well as some rocky sections).
If you like big water you would love the Lochsa in the spring...

Black Canyon of the Bear only runs for 4 scheduled release weekends in early spring; its cold; and often a powder day with the lifts running.
Murtaugh I am not too familiar with; various levels seem to run at random times, dam released; it can be huge in a big spring.
For easier big runs there is the Green River daily, and Moab Daily...
Westwater on the Colorado needs a permit, runs all the time; that is right on your way from Golden to SLC.
Cheers,
Bill
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #9

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I can assure you there is no 3rd party seller of discount tickets to any Vail mountain.... You used to be able to get 20% off tickets if you bought them at Ski-n-see or some other shops in the SLC area but Vail Resorts does not allow any 3rd parties to sell tickets, you can only buy directly from them.

Another option would be the Epic Local pass. You have some blackout dates (usually x-mas to new years, and presidents weekend) but those days are usually unbearable on the mountain anyway. They also have a 5 and 7 day epic option that you can use at any resort.
skibumandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #10

summit, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My daughter just moved to SLC (Sugarhouse area).

I also assume she will get some discounted tickets but her husband would use those.

Thanks for any help!
Does Vail Resorts not give spouses and kids of employees free season passes anymore? It's been a LOOONNGGG time since I worked for them, but that's how they used to roll.
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote