SLC locals, I need help with skiing & rivers - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2016   #11

Thanks everyone for the info.
I'll need to check if Vail gives family passes.
Looks like a Epic Local Pass is the ticket for skiing and long drives are needed to boat.
I was hoping I could stop in SLC for a day of boating with my daughter on the way to and from Idaho.
Does the Weber run in late May to mid June?
I had also forgotten about the Greys River and surfing Alpine Canyon.
But spending a little time on Google Earth, I realized the closest Class 4/5 to SLC is NOT in Banks, Idaho, but is Cross Mountain Gorge in Colorado.

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016   #12

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I've floated the Weber section Henefer to Taggert in September. Be ready for millions of drinking/partying tubers. This fun little section is yet another victim to advertisement and recruitment from companies that rent the tubes. Put in early (9-ish) and you should avoid the onslaught.

tda
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016   #13

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
My wife works FT for Vail and as a spouse, I get a season pass. I think spouses and kids get passes even if they're PT. 20 hr a week or so. She also get (4) free day passes to hand out and 10 or 15 50% off day passes.

BTW, she's looking for 3-4 folks to work in the cash vaults 20 to 30 hr a week. (hopefully, this won't get me trouble with the mods. )
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016   #14

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
My wife works FT for Vail and as a spouse, I get a season pass. I think spouses and kids get passes even if they're PT. 20 hr a week or so. She also get (4) free day passes to hand out and 10 or 15 50% off day passes.

BTW, she's looking for 3-4 folks to work in the cash vaults 20 to 30 hr a week. (hopefully, this won't get me trouble with the mods. )
The pass options (4 free day passes) all depend on the job level. Unless they've changed it again this year, entry level employees all get maybe 8 half priced comp passes.
RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016   #15

Park City, Utah
You may be right. Vail does change things around. Employees still get passes for spouse and kids though. I'm not sure what the cut off is hours wise.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016   #16

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
My wife works the minimum...4 hours a week. We all get passes (2 kids and me, $40 each i think)
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016   #17

ogden, Utah
The Ogden river through the canyon 4-4+, and below the canyon 2-3 usually runs in April and May. It's too narrow for a cat but good for a kayak.
jeffabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016   #18

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
The Utah Avalanche Center will be selling a limited number of donated Park City discount lift tickets this year. They are not in and we don't know the price yet, but keep checking utahavalanchecenter.org. Ski and support a good cause at the same time.

Once nice multi-day no-permit run that nobody has mentioned yet is the Jarbidge/Bruneau and associated tribs. Very snowpack dependent, sometimes with a short window and some years doesn't run or barely runs. Cottonwood Creek, S of Price and more or less on your way, is another nice run, but short and also subject to snowpack. Kayak only on Cottonwood, kayak or small raft with high tolerance for tough portages only on the J/B.
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote