Old 06-10-2014   #21
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I wouldn't want either one of you around my kid

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #22
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
This is like soccer/baseball/football parents fighting each other in the stands because they are on opposite sides and need to be overly competitive, yet the kids are out there playing and having a good time, wondering why their parents can't control themselves. haha keep it coming

mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #23
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
if the city of golden realized what a lame-ass nonrevenue generating sport slalom boating is theys would tell you to pack yo shiz up and go to confluence (where you can float with the rest of the turds). they should replace slalom boating in the olympics with play boating, it would do wonders for our sport and give me the chance to rep the usa. much rather see dane jackson doing some insane trick than a slalom boater paddling through a gate(in your organization's case missing the gate and not knowing how to roll so they swim out of da boat). by the way if you were so concerned about the kids safety, maybe teach them to roll before you send them out there. we can all get along if you use the park during non-peak hours and/or go to confluence park to race.
i am down there after work. black helmet, sometimes hand paddles, i have a blue dry top and a black one, mostly black life jacket. blunts in the parking lot, blunts on the wave, blunts in yo face if you drop in on me
WhiteChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #24
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by seanski06 View Post
Now I know why people hate playboaters

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
So playboaters are the park rats of the river?
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #25
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
People don't hate playboaters, they just hate the giant douchepiles that represent that segment of boaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #26
Here and There, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Wow, this thread escalated quickly...

Here's my 2 cents:

I'm not a play boater or a slalom boater. I run rivers and occasionally stop to play in a wave or hole. However, I have had problems with play boaters hogging features and acting like territorial dude brahs and I have had problems with slalom boaters thinking everyone should get out of their way on the river all over the place the whole way down like some elitist a-holes. This is not to label all of either category, but you have to admit there are some of what I described in each bunch.

The way I see it all river activity yields to the boat going down river, but that boat only gets the right to the main channel, flow, grain (whatever you want to call it); the boat going down river has no right to a hole, eddy, wave, whatever outside of the main flow. Anybody else can chime in if they think river rules work differently, but that's my take.

With that said... anybody who purposely tries to hit me with their boat or purposely intimidate or injury me on the river gets a non-deferable invitation over to the bank where we will sort things out. I don't give a damn whether I win or lose the scrap, the point is to make someone pay for endangering my safety on an otherwise good day on the river, and I'll do my best to collect. Matter of fact, if I see anyone purposely try to injure or intimidate anybody on the river because they were in YOUR hole, on YOUR wave, or near YOUR gate then you're getting called out.

It is my opinion that collectively we as kayakers need to stamp out any aggressive, territorial, intimidating or otherwise malicious behavior on the river or the river community will quickly become the short board surfing community at the ocean.
gjcarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #27
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
I'm not the coach for the kids, but I do look out for them. One of the kids out there paddling has scoliosis, so yeah - I really do get concerned when a fucktard threatens harm to not only that kid, but any of the kids - be they in the slalom program or not. Pissing me off is not in your best interests. If I am running safety for an event there and I determine you're in the way, I will let you know it by any means necessary - and you will get the fuck out of the way either voluntarily or otherwise.

Whether they can consistently roll of not is not the issue here. They will either learn to in time (when they get sick of emptying their boats out). That is up to their coaching, not me. I taught my kid to roll and to paddle and he is a badass boater. I know who you are and I haven't seen you running anything but your mouth. I didn't see you running Homestake last week.

When there is a sanctioned race event in that park or anywhere, you need to respect that event. Where there is sanctioned training occurring, you need to also respect that just as much.

If I ever see you attempt or actually intentionally hit someone with your boat, I will personally not only take you to the woodshed, I will see to it that you are fully prosecuted and spend a great deal of time in prison. The river is not place for stupidity.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #28
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
This is funny. But seriously, if you're not paying attention and you get hit by a slalom boat, it sucks. Any boat for that matter. I took Hobie's Green Boat to the face last year in the 8 ball and it sucked. No one should try to hurt someone with their boat. It doesn't matter if it is a playboat or a slalom boat or worse yet, like a wildwater boat coming down the river at 20 mph.
"shut up and paddle, and paddle like you mean it for once"

double-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #29
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I want a slalom boat to do some playboater spearing.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #30
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012

Colorado // Kayaking // Skiing // Film
Caleb125 is offline   Reply With Quote