Old 08-13-2015   #11
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
There is nothing wrong with camping at the put in except they decided to start charging $15 now which is beyond lame.

Plenty of shitty spots that would work off Danish Flats or the Westwater and Sulphir exits.

cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #12
The pros, they sleep in a van back behind the rafting company outpost. Me, I camp somewhere on p. 41 of the Utah Gazetteer. Call me dick put I ain't spoon feeding my spots. I'd just suggest getting a Trails Illustrated for that area and figure it out.

All I'm saying it that there is a lifetime of free dispersed camping within an hour of Westwater. If you need maintained road access, shitters and you run your show so loose that additional logistics are a chore you might to out of luck. Your pay $15 for a busy camp with bugs and will need to be quiet by 9:30.

Not picking on you but the sheep mentality of rafters is getting out of hand. No body has any sense of adventure or exploration which is what I thought the river was all about. You can only run it blind once!

Jamie D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #13
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Not everyone is seeking a camping experiencee where they try to relive their frat boy glory days Jamie D, and also not everyone only runs WW on weekends

I have never seen more than 3 sites occupied on a weeknight at the put in and being able to start at 7 AM with the shuttle already run is pretty nice if you want to.
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #14
^^^I agree with you. That said, those asking for spots of bitchin' about the put in camping probably don't live in Junction, run Westwater during the week or have there shuttle figured out by 7am.

I've camped in the dusty parking lot plenty and I'm sure I'll do it again. Point is, there is a whole 'nother world to be found chillin' on a dirt road, laid back swervin' like I'm George Jones, smoke rollin' out the window an ice cold beer sittin' in the console that you won't find driving the paved from put in to takeout.
Jamie D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #15
Paddling Since: 1994
Pick a road that cuts left off the put in road. Check it out. If you find a suitable spot, of which there are many spots much nicer than the put in. Set up shop. If not, try another road. Just please, use your groover and pack out trash. You'll have plenty of space.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #16
Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I'll have to admit, a lot of time if we are doing a Friday night run to Westwater with a Saturday launch it's a miracle we make it there before it's time to get up and start rigging anyway.

DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015   #17
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Rabbit Valley

Rabbit Valley
Why does Pluto walk on all fours, drink from a dog bowl, and get treated like...a dog, while Goofy drives a car, wears clothing, and speaks in English?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015   #18
West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
Camped at the put-in 8/15. Some bugs but quite manageable. Just a little hot though.

"Nothing says dirtbag like a mylar pillow with a spigot."
dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote