Old 04-16-2016   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Selling gear on Craigslist

I have listed a couple of Boats on Craigslist recently and have gotten a number of responses that are suspicious. I have never sold anything on Craigslist before so I am not sure if they are legit inquiries, or some attempt to defraud me.

On three occasions someone has texted me and said they are going to send me a cashier's Check, wait for me to deposit it and have it clear and then arrange for pickup. The offers were from three different phone numbers but were all eerily consistent in their contents.

I have responded to all that the terms are cash and carry, I don't want a check and I don't want to hold their boat after it is theirs.

Does anybody have any experience with this stuff?

twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016   #2
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Cash or no deal on Craigslist, in my opinion. No holds and no games with checks. Craigslist is full of people trying to scam, I always feel a good rule is to not trust anyone.

seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I just Googled this issue and found the the Craigslist Scams page that described this exact event.
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016   #4
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
I'll send you a check for $10,000. You deposit the check and keep $3500. Wire me back the $6500 that is over payment and I will contact a "shipping control officer" to collect the merchandise....

You could string along the scammer and have them send the fake check, play up a story on how hard life is and how you have not been able to get the fake check to the bank...etc, etc (see link for ideas on how to scam the scammer: Busted Up Cowgirl)
Meet me in person and hand me cash or verified funds check or Paypal me the $$ and I will wait to ship the merch until the Paypal $$ are deposited to my account. Anything else leaves you open to getting scammed.
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
The whole thing sounds weird, but I'm not smart enough to figure this out. What's the point of the scam? Wasting your time with going to the bank to be denied on depositing a phony cashier's check?

Edit - didn't see the post above. Figured the cashier check would be for the amount you were asking for. See, I'm not that smart. And there's no way I'd do any of that, just trying to figure the angle.
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016   #6
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
sometimes the cashier check clears at first, you send off some money to the scam artist and later the bank holds you accountable for the bogus check. It's a well known scam.

Cash deals only when selling or buying on craigslist.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016   #7
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This thread is starting to give me a bad feeling about the deal I'm doing with the widow of the former Nigerian Minister of Justice who needs help getting her late husband's $20,000,000 out of Botswana....

But seriously, with CL, cash or no deal. Meet in a well lit parking lot to do the deal.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016   #8
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You might try giving the reader specific instructions in the ad, like "respond with your phone number in the title and I will reply promptly." This helps weed out the spam and keeps you from having to post your own number online.

I meet in a public place to make the transaction and I don't give the person my address. After the sale I don't want someone showing up with questions or concerns. I also will entertain offers, but not once I've taken the time to meet them and inflated to boat. If someone tries to haggle at this point I walk.

I've had good luck selling all kinds of stuff on Craigslist, but people are flakes.I never hold anything for anyone; the first to hand me cash gets it.

Last but not least, take the ad down as soon as you make the sale. It's the courteous thing to do.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016   #9
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
duh, who buys used kayaks and gear with cashiers checks?
CL is full of'm
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016   #10
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
From Craigslist page:

craigslist | about > scams

mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote