Old 04-18-2016   #31
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
I have used Google wallet to avoid PayPal fees. Seems to be pretty convient can do from smart phones in parking lots as long as both parties have a Google account.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
for craigslist deals, I use Square when they don't have cash, and just charge them %3 more. (so far no complaints from anybody) but I haven't sold anything really big on CL so the 3% hasn't been a big deal to anybody yet. And I swipe their cards so there's less chance of a charge back.

"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016   #32
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
I am thanking you in advance for your help with my complikaton.
My dear mother passed a few days ago leaving me with a most fine inflatible raft that was used by Magor Powel in his travels down the kolorado river.
It is in gud condishun but my bruther is tring to sell it even tho mother likes me beter.
If you will pleasur me for taking this raft to you I will send it to you.
I just need $2,000 to help ship it to you.
send to me at

1 skam rd
Abuja Nigeria

Seriously, there's a similar scam for Publishers clearing house. You even get a check for $5,000,000 right there in the envelope. Not sure exactly how it works, but you deposit it in the bank and the robbers get your account number and viola! While the check bounces your account gets cleaned out.

The moral of the story is, as the number of zeros increases, your paranoia should increase ten fold. And, if the deal involves beer be very, very careful. We all know what any self respecting river rat will do for beer.

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016   #33
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
Just tell them to "show me the money"... cash that is! I sell lots of stuff on CL, including rafts, but never take checks of any kind and most people expect to pay with cash. Still every now and then a CLF (Craigslist flake) gets through.....
stuntmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016   #34
Louisville, Colorado
I listed my 1992 Camaro for sale on CL, told someone my address to come by and look at it. They never showed. In the following weeks someone tried to steal it three times, causing more damage to the steering column and ignition than the car was worth. They never got the car because of a magnetic ignition lock. An abundance of caution may be warranted. Well lit parking lot indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016   #35
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
This thread is starting to give me a bad feeling about the deal I'm doing with the widow of the former Nigerian Minister of Justice who needs help getting her late husband's $20,000,000 out of Botswana....

But seriously, with CL, cash or no deal. Meet in a well lit parking lot to do the deal.
Ya made me laugh.
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016   #36
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
Just sold a rowing frame on CL for cash on the same day I posted the ad. Might even take the buyer on an upcoming Chama trip. Most people are OK, especially boaters. Its the other stuff that pretty much any old Schmoe would want that brings in the CLF's.....
stuntmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016   #37
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Using weird terminology and poor writing skills as a clue seems good but limited - at some point, someone clever is going to learn good written english and maybe even do some research and sent a personalized message. And I agree with those not so confident about Paypal. I sell a lot on Paypal and have had a couple of charges disputed (misunderstandings). Getting that resolved and getting money released is somewhere between hard and impossible - their system seems oriented to protecting the buyer. At least the seller is charged penalties when that happens...

I don't know of a good way to sell and ship. If I were selling boating gear, I'd insist on chatting about trips, digging for mutual friends or experiences, or similar to at least verify that I'm talking to a boater that does live in the region they claim.

paulster is offline   Reply With Quote