Mountain Buzz banner

Salida to Rincon advice?

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ridge195 
#1 ·
HI all. New to this forum and looking for any advice i can get. Running a 3 man boat from salida to rincon Sat. Was hoping it would be five but lost two paddlers. 12 ft raft. Looks like flows should drop below 2000 cfs by then. Anything really to watch out for? Ive done many class 3 rapids with this raft but 4 man crew has been minimum. Also was wondering how long this stretch may take us and if its short if there is any put ins above salida that could give us an extra hour or so maybe. Thanks for any input at all.

#3 ·
Bear Creek is the only real rapid, it's shortly after the Salida East ramp. You can scout from the road, but it's read and run. It lasts a while, so just stay alert and it shouldn't be an issue. Nothing else of note on that stretch. With a paddle crew it will be a couple hours maybe. If you want to make more of a day of it then put in at Big Bend, that will about double the length. Just heed the signs and go left through the boat shoot at the dam before you float through town.

#4 ·
I just did Big Bend to Rincon on Tuesday. It was about 2600 I think and we made it in 3 hours. You could also put in at Stone Bridge if you want close to 4 hours and that gives you one additional nice wave train (cannot recall name but you can see it from road across from scenic pullout for Shavano). Agree with comments above on Bear Creek. There was one pretty big hole in that rapid, but it was easy to avoid if you are paying attention. Nothing else noteworthy except to ensure you stay left at dam (which is well marked).

#7 ·
Yes, but there is one rapid that is out of character with the rest of that part of the river. Tincup, it's a single ledge with a wave train. Straight forward and not difficult, but it is solid III and a little intimidating the first time you float to the lip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.